View Single Post
      11-30-2018, 05:09 PM   #43
GuidoK
#buildnotbought
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0i ESS TS2+

Sure. I dont think anyone doubts the history of porsche and its merits, just as no one doubts Porsches ability to make an epic sportscar today.
But the part of porsche that makes those cars is not the main part nowadays. Certainly not when looking at the sales numbers. SUV's and saloons are its bread and butter today, and the sportscars are made to give the brand a certain image (or to keep that image at least). Without the SUV's Porsche would be bankrupt years ago, so making the sportscars is not really a direct profitable venture. But it aids of course in the sell of SUV's. It all fits in the Porsche marketing strategy (which is brilliant). Make an epic sportscar line -> buy in cheap suv platforms -> copy style icon details from the sportscars onto the SUV's -> sell the SUV's for a premium.
Brilliant

So probably the 911 and 718 buyers are the ones that make the best deal when buying a Porsche. Certainly the 911 is I think leader in its segment, which is apparently produced at a loss (or at least not as profitably as it needs to be to keep an entire brand in the market; it might not be a direct loss). Competing cars from solely sportscars manufacturers are usually far more expensive (ferrari, mclaren), and other competing cars come as top models from even more generic/less luxury/less performance orientated brands (like the Merc. AMG GT, but also corvette, audi R8 etc)
Z4 3.0i | ESS TS2+ supercharger | Quaife ATB LSD | Brembo/BMW performance BBK front/rear | Schrick FI cams | Schmiedmann headers+cats | Powerflex/strongflex PU bushings | Vibra-technics engine mounts | H&R anti rollbars | KW V3 coilovers/KW camber plates | Sachs race engineering clutch | tons of custom sh#t

Last edited by GuidoK; 11-30-2018 at 05:17 PM..
Appreciate 0