danimal
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '14 228i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doccommando View Post
No, he made the mistake of not keeping an assured clear distance between him and the car in front of him.
As I said, he probably was following too closely. And, if he was, that was wrong and warrants criticism. But steering out of trouble does not warrant criticism.

Quote:
Swerving over a double yellow is the worst thing you can do in that situation short of actually hitting someone.
Exactly, short of actually hitting someone. And that's exactly what we're talking about here, isn't it? If he could have swerved a different direction or stopped in time without getting rear-ended, both those options would have been preferable to crossing a double-yellow. But, the bottom line is, he chose an option that prevented an accident.

Quote:
He's lucky someone wasn't coming the other way.
Maybe he could actually see that no one was coming.

A few month ago, I was driving down a city street and a car came barreling out of a driveway right into my path. No time to stop, I swerved across the double-yellow to avoid him. I actually knew nothing was coming the other way because I was paying attention to my surroundings. If that had earned me a ticket for reckless driving, you better believe I would have fought that in court.

-Dan

Appreciate 0