View Single Post
      06-07-2009, 12:44 PM   #5
scollins
Bootleggin' 'n Gunrunnin'
Rep
Drives: 2024 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cthulhu View Post
I have a Canon rebel that I got an unbelievable price on, but my dad has a Nikon D series DSLR.

The main difference between the two lines is that Canon uses a CMOS sensor while Nikon uses a CCD sensor. I used to have a great scientific journal article comparing the two, but can't seem to find it. You could probably find some comparisons of the two, but IIRC, CCD interpolation has a LOT of advantages over CMOS.

In theory, CMOS sensors are marginally better, but CCD devices have been used in optics to such an extent that VERY good gain software algorithms have been created. I don't think you can go wrong with the Nikon. Also, lenses are cheaper for the Nikon.

By the way: lenses with stabilized optics are amazing! My telephoto with servo corrected optics is really cool, you hardly ever need a tripod. Shy away from anything with in-camera stabilization. It makes more sense from an engineering standpoint to stabilize the LENS optics. Also, a lot of manufacturers use software to fake image stabilization...

I'd say, unless you want to get into the nitty-gritty and do some in-depth comparisons, just buy the Nikon D60, it's an amazing camera, has a faster sensor time, and has stabilized lenses available.

PM me if you intent to go nuts with your research before buying, and I'll dig up the comparisons I did. But seriously, Nikon came out ahead. The only reason I got the Rebel was the price.
Funny, my Nikon D300 has a CMOS sensor, not a CCD. It depends on what level of Nikon you buy whether it has CCD or CMOS. D40's and D60's have CCDs, D300's and up have CMOS. Also, getting a D40/D60 will limit you to only AF-S lenses if you want autofocus. AF-D lenses will be relegated to manual focus only, since neither the D40 nor the D60 have in-body AF motors.
2013 Ducati Multistrada Touring S, Red
Appreciate 0