10-26-2023, 12:20 PM   #13
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

Quote:
Originally Posted by freakystyly View Post
The Car and Driver write-up mentions the ICE part would be purely for range extending with a twin rotor. As well as overall dimensions and speculated horsepower / weight like in the OP.

Not sure where they got their info from but it does look like an interesting package.
I'm retracting my comment... CandD said, "Under the hood lives a hybrid system pairing an unspecified number of electric motors with a twin-rotor rotary engine. Mazda says the rotary engine is used for power generation, implying that it is simply a range extender that charges the battery and doesn't directly drive the wheels." CandD talking out their ass...

At 365 HP the twin-rotor rotary is not a "range extender", rather it powers the electric generator for the EV drivetrain. I read the Mazda information as the car is a true serial hybrid, meaning no direct mechanical linkage thru a planetary gearset to the drive wheels, just solely electrical power generation. A small EV traction battery is in the system for surge requirements and load shedding.
Appreciate 1