View Single Post
      05-11-2023, 09:00 PM   #1
x5man
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 M8 Gran Coupe

Excise tax refund after lease turn in

In Massachusetts, residents pay car excise tax to the municipality where they live. At first 1-3 years these taxes are high and can be in $1500 - 2000 range. However, if you sell a car, you can file for a prorated refund of paid taxes from local town hall for unused portion of fiscal year. It's a simple procedure. However, this becomes complicated if a car is leased and BMW is taxed directly and then they ask a lessee to reimburse BMW these tax. My lease ended and I am eligible for prorated tax refund. I called BMWFS and their CSR told me that YES - they do have procedures to claim these monies and they do work with customers. They ask to email them supporting documents to their finance department. Problem is that I emailed them several times during my last 3 leased cars with them and all those requests got lost. No acknowledgement, no records of its receipt and I never received any refunds. I just gave up on trying.

I am curious if anyone was able to get these taxes back from BMWFS and what I may be doing wrong?
Appreciate 0