03-09-2023, 09:50 PM   #47
RJC-1
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW M850XI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gizmo 335i View Post
Now that this thread has been resurrected, I’ll chime in. I was disappointed in the SL63. The big screen tacked onto the dash was out of place. The ride was too stiff and there was a good amount of tire and road noise. The power was certainly there and it handled pretty good for the weight. But to me, there is no question that the M8 is more comfortable and quiet while meeting or exceeding the power…for a lot less $.

I like my wife’s previous gen SL better than than the new one.
I don't like ipad type center stacks either but in the SL's defense, it does adjust/tilt electronically, and the instrument's display panel is housed in a proper binnacle. I looked at a new '22 55 that just arrived at my local MB dealer, and it had orange peel on both sides quite badly (you can read more about it and see my pics on mbworld's R232 forum). I have been critical of the new SL as from the A-pillar back its a 911 cab and MB made no attempt to hide it. From the A-pillar forward is pure MB, but it's an awkward approach and looks a bit Frankenstein'ish from certain angles. The fact there's already $10k in conquest speaks volumes. The M8 is also a larger car, and the SL's interior feels much more 911'ish in size/feel. MB is also getting hammered in the latest JD power dependability #'s well below BMW (BMW was able to remain in the top 50% albeit barely just one notch above). MB will get very few 911 drivers to switch, and they've pissed off previous customers who liked the former generation's larger and statelier look/feel. The SL 63 is producing QM and 0-60 on par with the more conservative M8 published data but the price of admission is far too steep for this car. There are however two things I'd like BMW to adopt from the SL, the meaty and perforated D shaped steering wheel, and the excellent MB massage seats.

Topic permitting, I try to be objective as possible
Appreciate 1
hinckley3492.50