03-04-2023, 08:33 PM   #52
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2020 M850i Coupe

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJC-1 View Post
I try to treat any new car gingerly as much as possible even if it's a tester, and all mine follow break-in to the "T". Think about it, vehicle manufactures don't warranty repairs/costs, so if they say cool it until break-in is over that's what I'm doing. Furthermore, the M's required 1200-mile fluid changes must be important, or BMW certainly wouldn't pay for/require it, unless it helps to extend driveline life and/or reduce repairs.

On another note, I was truly pleasantly surprised the ride was so nice, although it was on Pilot S4's. The tester was a vert and I am trying to see if the verts suspension is dialed back a bit as is the case for others. Cant seem to find anything on this, any ideas?
I too followed the break in rules on the M850i but in reality for a modern engine vs 30 years ago it is mostly a fallacy. I did it thinking in advance as if anything it may take off some of the future life of the engine (if anything at all) and was planning for it to be a keeper. Lease for 3 years and turn it in not even a factor of consideration.

The BMW break-in rules are a CYA attempt from their lawyers. However, outside of the ZF8 transmission cap on launches (can't remember the number) it won't state the day/time when done. There is also nothing in the car (unless I'm clueless) that will state when I drive 100MPH vs 60MPH. Nor when the engine reved at 4K RPMs vs 7500K. Doubled down on that in the privacy settings from day 1 not to include analysis on that (just posted that in a separate thread today).

So BMW would be hard pressed to prove I invalidated my warranty with launches before the 120O mile break-in, drive over the 100MPH cap or broke the 4500 RPM limit. All smoke and mirrors.
Appreciate 0