Thread: Boxster
View Single Post
      01-31-2023, 12:30 PM   #7
XutvJet
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2011 Cayman Base, 2016 M235

I think pricing will come down a bit this year. Right now used prices are still high because dealers paid a premium for the cars and they can't come to terms with the fact that the used car market is collapsing and fast. With that said, Porsche values on their sports cars (NOT SUVs) will likely remain relatively high compared to other makes.

The verdict is still out on the long term liability of the turbo 4s, assuming you're looking at a more typical 718. The turbo 4 is a new direction for Porsche and it's serviceability is way more complex compared to the NA Boxer 6 motors. I recently purchased a 2011 Cayman base and the engine is surprisingly easy to work on and service. The Boxster is quite a bit more difficult as the roof is in the way when getting to the top of the motor. With my Cayman, I yank the top engine cover and sit in the trunk while working over the motor. The turbo 4 has a ton more complication with the turbo and air/water intercooler, piping, cooling, wiring, hoses, etc. What used to be somewhat easy repair work now requires the engine to be dropped (which isn't as bad as it seems with these cars).

With all that said, I think the NA Boxer 6 cars found in the 987.2 or 981 cars are easier to work on and cheaper to maintain. They also sound and "feel" more the part. They rev out to high rpms and make you work for it. I find the 265hp in my base Cayman 6MT to plenty for the street. It's surprisingly quick and sounds glorious under full boil. If I want to go faster and have more of a sledge hammer, turbo experience, I take my wonderful Stage 2 M235 6MT.

Repair and parts costs on Porsches can be eye watering. Definitely research problem areas for the model you're looking at and try and find a good independent Porsche shop once the car is out of warranty. Porsche dealer shop hourly rates are hilarious.