10-10-2022, 12:30 AM   #107
StanDiego
Darth ZEDer
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW Z4 sDrive3.0

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by OF Hero View Post
Anyone have one of these? Most reviews I've read seem pretty positive. Looking to add an off-road toy in the next couple of years, but STILL waiting on Toyota to reveal the next gen 4Runner. Not too thrilled with the new Tundra/Sequoia looks so I imagine it will look similar, but I'm still hoping Toyota has something special planned for the 4Runner given it's cult following.
I was in the market for a 2-door Bronco in the summer but, calling around, soon discovered they were made out of unobtainium. I left my phone number with a couple of places in case availability improved. I got a call from a dealer mid-August, said one was available, guy lost his job at the steel plant and had to cancel his order.

It was an Outer Banks trim in Shadow Black with the 2.3L motor. I took it for a long test drive, even parked it in my garage to see how it would fit. To be expected it was a bit noisy but not obnoxiously so. It actually felt composed on the highway, much better ride than expected. Interior fit and finish was pretty impressive. Though performance wasn't terribly bad, I concluded it would be a lot more fun with the 2.7L motor.

Though I initially intended to buy a fully loaded base model rather than the Outer Banks, I decided to buy it if I could get it for MSRP (roll laugh track now). I was actually able to get them down to $2K above MSRP but I declined. I asked myself why should I pay $2K over MSRP for a Bronco that wasn't in my desired color, trim level, or engine size and concluded I shouldn't. Yeah, I could have maybe turned it for a profit but that's not my style. Let someone else make a deal for it.

Here's the part that will make you shake your head in wonder: Instead of the Bronco, I bought a new '22 BMW Z4. Why? I was coming from a '19 MINI Cooper S convertible, a fun car but not really my style. Before that, I owned a '16 MINI S convertible, a '12 Miata, and a '06 Miata. Though the Bronco would give me a (sort of) convertible and real off-road capability, I realized I likely wouldn't actually be doing much off-roading, I wouldn't be happy with the 20mpg average fuel economy, and I already own a "soft-roader" in my '20 Subaru Outback. After searching my soul, what I really deep down desired was another sporty two-seater with better performance and greater comfort than my former Miata. Yes, a BMW Z4.

Wow! The Z4 delivers in spades! I've never been so happy with any car I've owned (and I've owned quite a few) other than perhaps my 1983 Datsun 280Zx (because it was my first new car).

What's the moral to this story? I'm not sure there is one except perhaps to be sure you really truly know what you want and settle for nothing less.
Appreciate 0