View Single Post
      08-20-2022, 10:16 PM   #97
M8Bimmer
Not a good Canadian sheep!
Rep
Drives: BMW M8 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by ikonn View Post
Yah, maybe not adversely affecting the sound, but it does seem to have some sort of impact. My complaint has been ‘not enough bass from the subs’. This is still true with engine off, or engine on and not driving. But then I noticed that at around 40 mph / 65 kmh, the SDV kicks in and suddenly the subs sound better. You engineers out there can explain it, but my speculation is that the sub amps do not kick in until a certain signal level voltage hits them and you can get this either with high volume (or low freq EQ) levels or when the SDV triggers a sound boost.
I've got the SDV turned off in my car. But I agree with you on the sub comments. I also feel the subs seem quite muted at lower volumes. At higher levels they seem to be "there" much more. This can be true of high end home systems as well though. Most of us feel the bass better at higher levels....of course. Yes I could EQ in more bass but then it become too much a higher volumes. That's why I prefer a separate sub box and easy to access handy level control. I've just found that combo sounds better. In that setup you can add some overall bass increase at a lower levels and fine tune it when listening louder. In my 2 vehicles with that setup the bass is better overall than the B&W. But at higher levels the B&W subs sound good and tight. Just not enough at lower volumes.
Appreciate 0