08-14-2022, 10:12 PM   #60
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2020 M850i Coupe

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by claykin View Post
To be clear, I have no idea what, if any, changes were made to the RAM or Booster modules when they supposedly went from 600W to 464W for HK. I made an assumption mentioning that maybe Samsung moved to class D. Could also be that they decided to follow more modern power rating standards, instead of older standards that allowed "peak power" or power ratings at higher distortion levels, or measurements at voltages other than 14.4V or 12V, etc.... Power ratings can be a messy business.
Interestingly the MATCH amp/DSP upgrade for an iD7 based HK is technically a D class amp.

Quote:
That said, my G30 supposedly has a 600W amplifier. However, I've heard other BMW HK systems with the supposed 464W amplifier and did not notice that amplifier running out of headroom at higher volume. So, it's anyone's guess.
Headroom equals the old saying that everyone's mileage may vary. In my world I push any audio system to the limit and at least with the wife's X5 HK system with the 600W amp have yet to be disappointed after negating the Logic 7 DSP mode.

Quote:
Could also be they downgraded the advertised spec to leave more room to upsell B&W. Who knows, maybe they made a commitment to Sound United on the B&W sell thru and they weren't meeting those goals so BMW marketing came up with downrating the amp... All a guess on my part.
Anything is possible along with the ulterior motive of cost savings.
Appreciate 0