Captain
Rep
Drives: 06 Black Sapphire Z4MR

Garage List
2014 BMW X5  [0.00]
2011 Scion tC  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ///d View Post
I'm not against EV, but I'm also not 100% for EV.

I have considered EV for a daily, particularly for the girlfriend. She would be able to charge at home and rarely ever goes more than 150 miles from home. For her it could make sense considering she would rarely, if ever, have to worry about finding a charging station. BUT, even after doing the math it would still cost her more than her current gas powered car simply because the cost of a quality EV. Maybe if something happens and she has no option other than getting a new vehicle we will look at them.

For me, EV does not make sense. The need to tow, the times I am in the sticks and far from anyplace that has charging stations for multiple days, long trips sometimes through the middle of nowhere. Even with the availability of charging stations along routes it adds considerable time to a 1000+ mile road trip. I get 600 miles to a tank, I dont have to stop often.

I think EV has is place and has been getting much better as far as affordability, but I also think they have a ways to go still to be a good option for your average household. Longer lasting batteries, cheaper replacement costs, etc. Those things may not be much of a concern to the majority of folks on these forums and their bank accounts, but for median income families it's still a big concern.
^This, affordability is the big problem here, I openly admit I am in the median income families, with a massive bill for keeping my kid in premium education.

Majority of the forum maybe massively comfortable and live in a detatched home with the ability to install a charger at home, this forum however, is hardly representative of the real world where most car buyer will buy what suits their need, their parking arrangements, and budget.

There is the increasing condo dwellers in the city (continuing fight against urban sprawl is helping this, least up here) and those who live in the old parts of today's metropolis that have to park on the city streets. Few have the ability to install a charger at their parking spot.

EV has its place today, and will continue to, and personally I can see myself buying one for the wife for the weekend road trip/daily school run car, but the bottom line is, significant adaptation remains far into the future without a massive increase in infrastructure investments, while car makers have to make these EVs more accessible, better able to adapt to winter cold, rather than just pushing them out like hotcakes

I will return to the track, one day.
Appreciate 2
///d1882.00
Cos270608.50