03-23-2022, 09:28 AM   #28
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2020 M850i Coupe

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beemer5to3 View Post
I'd expect any good aftermarket upgrade to be ahead of factory fit all day long, even at B&W level. The stuff I used to fit when I was younger, you could get a really good quality install for around £2/2.5k, which is give or take half the price of B&W and when setup correctly was absolutely first class. You're never going to get first rate audio in a car anyway, as the acoustics are not conducive to a good audio experience. Actually half the battle in getting any system to sound good in a car is sound deadening - I used to put it anywhere it would go in installs, and used to make the world of difference. Another issue is where the subwoofers sit in any factory fit BMW - under the seats is not ideal at all. I heard the HK in the new i4 last week and it sounds miles better than it's non EV equivalents as the Sub sits in the boot in an enclosure.
Agreed as to your point one never will achieve true audiophile quality in a car due to it's acoustics. In fact said acoustics is why I'm going to go up to my dealer this week and play around with a HK in a coupe to see what settings I can make to improve the defaults. It is useless to share the HK settings for my wife's X5 as the cabin acoustics are completely different.

Also agree on the good old days in which an Alpine head unit tied to a Rockford Fosgate amp/speaker setup would blow away even the best factory audio no questions asked. Now a days though with the advent of "infotainment" systems one now is more limited to something that plugs-n-plays with the core system. In fact that is why Bavsound has created their market for BMW and Mini.
Appreciate 0