View Single Post
      03-18-2021, 11:28 AM   #41
T4tommy
Rep
Drives: 840D

Firstly Im delighted to find this forum and even more to see this problem being discussed as its been driving me nutz ever since I bought my 68 plate 840d.

It’s a similar story but the bones of it are :

From day one (bought with 3k miles on clock) the car has been crabbing at very low speed with that jumping sound at the front at or close to full lock. When I say low speed I mean reversing off my drive and turning at the same time.
Once I have travelled ½ mile or so it seems to stop so I get it for the first couple of roundabouts near me and then its gone.
No steering issues at all at travelling speeds
I hate saying this but you have to: Im not doing spirited driving which is pushing the car or tyres in anyway. The car is a cruiser not a racer to me. My previous cars, some BMW some not, have been giving me 25K+ per set with no bother
I took the car back to bmw at around 9k miles because it was doing my head in, they checked all the set up of the wheels and chassis and said all as factory spec. They suggested we change the front set to the same potenza’s to see if that worked and split the costs 50:50
It didn’t work so to be clear on brand new fronts, pulling/turning off the driveway the tyres aren’t gripping enough to not bounce.
They then went into push back mode.
It’s a “feature” of the tyre or that model of car
It’s a high performance tyre so prone to wear early
“Could be your driving style” bla bla

Tyrewear on my Bridgestone Potenza’s on this car have been original rears are now at 2mm after 14k miles and the last service last week recommended a change.
And as above the fronts were changed around 9k ish and haven’t solved anything.
So before seeing this thread I had wondered if

Tyres are too sensitive to temperature which explains the driveway/first mile issues which then recover
The full lock allows too much rotation meaning the tyres are almost side on to the road when turning causing that crabbing and jumping. Does the car have speed sensitive turning which is why its low speed problems for me.
When I looked at new 840d in the showroom they see to have different tyres so I think they may have been continentals but what I did see was that the tyres have much more chunkier tread on the car and especially on that outer edge. The new potenza’s are almost like track day tyres !
Im not a tyre expert but maybe when the fronts need changing again I should look for a thicker tread based tyre but that could affect the driving experience in other ways.

I guess the key point is that having seen this thread BMW must know there is an issue and are ducking it until the few become many!?
Appreciate 1
Rogerha28.00