View Single Post
      11-08-2020, 03:47 PM   #15
Baron G15
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW G15 8 Series, Audi Q8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogerha View Post
I think you might have a point Belugs. I have done a bit of research on the Bridgestone 007’s and they are basically fitted to some 8ers, Aston Martins and Ferraris, they are very well known for having very rigid tyre walls. I am beginning to think that the problem may have been with the tyre itself, I had the alignment checked by an independent place, and it was absolutely fine (allegedly).

So you start to wonder about the tyre itself, and suitable inflation guidance for a hard walled tyre. Either way, it’s an OEM fit, so as far as I am concerned, it’s Beemers problem. I should have mentioned that a car magazine here in the UK experienced the same thing, although slightly less severe: https://www.carmagazine.co.uk/car-re...e-2018-review/

Wingco That crabbing you report is the Ackermann effect, which is a deliberate choice of geometry on these cars. Doesn’t matter that is damned annoying of course.

Baron G15 I live just south of you in Wiltshire, interesting you are on Pirelli’s, reinforces my thinking about the Bridgestones

To be honest, I (like most people here) have owned plenty of motors, many of them tyre burners. If I was wearing them evenly across the tyre - I would be a little more understanding of BMW’s position. I had an M4 before this, and I was getting 10k out of a set of rears, which I thought was good going. But this wear isn’t/wasn’t right - shame - I love the car otherwise.
Yep, the tire wear you’re getting is absurd. I’ve had a couple of tire burners before...Italian prancing horse and German antlers and neither of them experienced tire wear like that....and in those days my driving style most definitely would have been described as ‘spirited’.

If you want an alternative dealer to take a look at the car, try Cotswold BMW in Cheltenham...It’s a pretty incredible facility, and I’ve found their responsiveness to be a highlight of the BMW ownership experience, which has otherwise been pretty underwhelming in comparison to Audi & Porsche.

I also think that was absolutely the right move to report your vehicle to the safety authority. Frankly, the images of your tires was bloody terrifying. Instead of nickel and diming you over the cost of a set of tires, I’d have expected them to want to get to the bottom of what was going on.

I know everyone’s experience is anecdotal but, I used to live in the States and owned a Porsche 997. When the car was first launched it had an intermittent technical fault that was only present on the US version of the vehicle. Long story short, I was able to generate the fault every time I cleaned the car. The dealer reported it to Stuttgart, and instead of the company denying there was a problem, their response was to send four engineers from the factory to my home in LA to watch me clean the car whilst it was hooked up to their laptops. Once they’d identified the problem (it required a module redesign) they offered to replace the module (once it had been fabricated) or if I preferred, replace the vehicle.
Appreciate 0