Saunders17283
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M850xi Gran Coupe

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by bloozemanAZ View Post
Saunders17283 Thank you so much for putting this together! I've been hacking and modifying firmware, software, etc. for close to two decades now but all on less costly devices than my 2020 M850i. On the rare occasion I've bricked a cell phone, network router, etc. but they are easily replaceable. I fully understand the disclaimers you put forth but the knowledge shared including the video tutorials provides me with the confidence to give it a go.

That said I had already watched the first two videos thanks to your private preview on installing the software, etc. Thus, over this past weekend I pulled an older HP laptop out of storage that has an onboard ethernet port, upgraded the Win7 on it to Win10 and am ready to do the software install later this week. (Side tip to anyone still having a Win7 system the free upgrade from MS is still alive and well although it officially ended quite some time back.)

I just watched the training wheels video on adding B&W EQ/Sound Settings and figured per your recommendation that is what I'll try first. However, I'm not sure what that does whatsoever so can you explain that? The reason being is I'm an audiophile and have spent months dialing in the EQ settings to deliver the glorious B&W sound that is one of my favorite aspects of the car.
Thanks, bloozemanAZ!

The video "Adding Bowers & Wilkins EQ/Sound Settings" is just a "dip your toe in the water" video. It doesn't accomplish a ton but allows you to try your first code on an ECU without drivability implications.

If you already have a B&W system, you would be reversing the process outlined in my video...which is to say, you'd "dip your toe" by coding the following:
AUDIO_SYSTEM alev4_Ram (B&W EQ) > AUDIO_SYSTEM alev3_Ram (HK EQ)

Basically since you already have B&W, this means your factory setting in AUDIO_SYSTEM would already be set to alev4_Ram so to do a simple "dip your toe" code, you could code to alev3_Ram. Of course you could easily go back and reverse it 30 seconds later after verifying it worked in your car.

My car unfortunately doesn't have B&W however this attached pic shows my iD7 after the code.

When I coded from HK to B&W setting, my EQ remained untouched. This is not a guarantee it works the other way but I can only state that I did not lose my EQ settings. You may want to make a note prior to coding though. (i.e. 80Hz +1, 120Hz +5, etc......)
Attached Images

Previous Rides
2019 X7 / 2018 X5 / 2012 X5 / 2014 750xi / 2011 750Lxi / 2008 335xi
Appreciate 1
BeeMdblU452.00