08-26-2020, 11:02 PM   #267
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2020 M850i Coupe

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigMofoFrog View Post
Very frustrating and sorry to hear. It was a bit to get my dealer to update as well. Fortunately I had CarPlay issues with it dropping out and I managed to convince them to update it. Wasn't easy.
msm2000uk that is the key as based on information shared by others with a much longer history than I have with BMW the iDrive updates at a dealer need to be covered under warranty labor hours. Hence, have an issue, e.g., CarPlay or anything else it will be covered. For 07/2020 when I'm ready my simple argument will be that I want the new Android Auto capability regardless that I'll use it or not. However, given BMW is offering it to any existing car with iDrive 7 that will trigger a no questions asked labor hours under warranty for the dealer to install.

As for a 3rd party coder I'm not sure they will have access to a full iDrive release. Yes, they can code against what is installed to enable features not included in the region (e.g., anti-dazzle here in the US) or modify configuration settings. However, in the case of 07/2020 they cannot magically enable Android Auto or the IoS digital key as it is non-existent in the earlier releases.
Appreciate 0