BMWGirlFL
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4 M40i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkDemma View Post
I think this is another area we disagree on. I found that the F22 generation has "just enough" assistance. The wheel will vibrate if it thinks it's detecting I'm going out of the lane. Whereas the newer ones will try to steer for you. Again with the 3er loaner I found it was trying to do this at times I didn't want it to so ended up turning it off. The parking sensors / rear view camera in my current car was a welcome addition whereas the "all around" cameras in the new ones are just overkill.

One of the things that I found annoying / distracting in the new digital dash is that it was trying to bombard you with way too much unnecessary information in duplicate or even tertiary locations. Driving directions was the worst offender. I don't really need to see that I should turn left on the SatNav screen, on the digital dash AND the HUD. I don't need to see what PodCast I'm playing between my tach and speedo. I don't know anyone that really uses the gesture controls and I can already "hey Siri" for maps, phone, etc, so hey BMW doesn't seem to add much.

Perhaps I'm now a curmudgeon but one of the reasons I've always heard a lot of folks like BMWs is for a clean, logical, simple control layout. Give me a big readable tach, speedo and only the needed gauges in front of me and a big enough screen for my CarPlay off to the right and I'm happy. All the rest is just clutter. I think a lot of 2er drivers actually appreciate that since it's not one in the "high end" of the lines it didn't get as cluttered up with all the gizmos that the higher end lines got to entice people to switch out cars every 3 years or so.

BMW Blog just put out an article about today's spyshots and noted that "there’s a large group of the BMW fan-base itching to see the new 2 Series. Because it will remain rear-wheel drive, and likely not carry the same new grille as the 4 Series, the next-gen 2er is almost certainly going to be the enthusiast-darling of the Bavarian lineup."

I think I'm not alone in 2er "enthusiasts" that would be quite happy to see the the coupe at least remain fairly simple / doesn't really need all the tech gizmos for us to want it. If it came with last gen dash and iDrive but manual transmission that would be fine by me.
Endless possibilities. Agreement unnecessary.
Appreciate 1
MarkDemma520.00