05-07-2020, 10:27 PM   #108
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2020 M850i Coupe

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozzie8 View Post
On the windows for Australia we are able to order the Sun Protection Glazing option. This option provides factory tinted windows for the rear glass sections of the car (rear window and rear sides). Its not available for front driver/passenger windows unfortunately for legal reasons so we use after market tint. The factory tinted windows are superb, flawless and look great. I know that laminated windows have better acoustic properties, but have not ready anything about this in the BMW information sheets.
Funny story as you posted about the Sun Protection Glazing option prior to my first build attempt last August. With the power of a simple Google search it turned out to be option code 761. My CA diligently tried to get it included in my 2020 M850i order but BMW NA kept shutting it down. He shared some of his email correspondence with BMW NA on the topic to keep me in the loop. To protect the innocent with paraphrasing involved (as I'm going by memory) it went as follows:

CA: my customer strongly desires option 761
BMWNA: that option is not available in the US
CA: why not?
BMWNA: it's only available in markets that require it
CA: here in Arizona it is a required option
BMWNA: the market is defined as the US vs Arizona
CA: that though process needs to be reconsidered

Of course ultimately I didn't get the option and just did 3rd party tinting. A conspiracy theorist would likely claim that the US tinting super PAC is barring the option her in the US. My assumption as to my experience to-date with BMW is they are just flat out clueless. The case-in-point is the marginal cost to build already exists as they do it for other markets. Thus, they can set a price for the US market that ensures a nice profit above the cost to build no differently than they do for Australia.

Options are the gravy train for any car manufacturer as those willing to buy them are also willing to pay for them. The CF package on the M850i is an example. The price went up significantly between the 2019 and 2020s yet the product did not change. So additional profit to BMW for all of those that choose the option in a 2020. If there is anything they teach you in B school is that a marginal cost add is total gravy.
Appreciate 1