View Single Post
      04-15-2020, 12:17 PM   #858
Joekerr
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2017 Audi S6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murf993 View Post
I'll play. So don't disagree with you and Ms Webster. I will often use her definitions on line to lay the ground work for my posts or to refute those I debate. Having said that, every statute in Canada begins with a Short Title and then "definitions", these definitions lay out specifics for the particular Act being dealt with. Having said that the Criminal Code of Canada doesn't specifically define crime or criminal. But I think lawyers would argue that you aren't a criminal until you've been convicted of a crime. I know I'm splitting hairs but Canada is such a forgiving country and society. I think this can easily become a philosophical argument/debate quickly.

Finally, you may be charged, go to trial and be acquitted (found “not guilty”). In all of these situations, you have been arrested but not convicted. You are not guilty of a crime. Conviction - A conviction means that you have been found guilty of a crime by a court or that you have agreed to plead guilty to a crime.

I for one have a real issue with criminals and liars, but who among us hasn't told a little white lie (may great big ones too) and who hasn't taken a pen from work.

Many would argue that the guy taking a pen from work doesn't believe he's committed a crime, has he formed the requeste mens rea?
Very well done! Especially the bolded. For which I have no rebuttal. But I like the subtle but important distinctions raised in the words used. I often think I could have been a successful lawyer.
Appreciate 0