08-15-2019, 03:13 PM   #3511
Grumpy Old Man
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: Porsche 993, 2015 MB GLK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joekerr View Post
That's what I thought as well, but was starting to question myself after reading Narwhal's post. Nice to have an ex police opinion on the subject.

Of course, I suppose still at risk on the "reasonable" definition. If its dark and you can't verify weapon or not, maybe you are not in good shape if they live through it. Still though, if it ever came to it, I'd be looking to get my family out asap and safe. My firearms are useless to me, being stored in a safe in the basement and all. No way I'd have time to get down there, unlock, load and get back up there, in addition to being under pressure and probably fumbling things.

But thanks for the post!
When protecting yourself and your family you need to think outside the box. Calling 911 and getting the tape going is a good start. And unless the police are sitting at the end of your street they could be between 3 and 20 minutes getting to you, yes even in Toronto depending on the time of day, day of the week and how busy they are. Then think about options, nothing says all of your guns have to be stored in one place, and for argument sake the storage requirements are less restrictive for a non-restricted gun than maybe that would be a better choice for home defence, of course that's not the firearms purpose in Canada. But there are also other things that you can use to defend yourself that don't need to be locked up.
Appreciate 0