View Single Post
      03-15-2019, 12:26 PM   #27
King Rudi
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Meat Suit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rmtt View Post
Engineering Manager in a Specialty Chemical Plant. My degree is in Electrical Engineering and I specialize in Automation and Controls. DCS's, PLC's, HMI's...etc.

But I have worked in Chemicals for so long, that I ended up promoted to this job. So I get to deal with Reactors and new installs, Process Scale-Ups, Structural Integrity work....you name it..I do it.

Best part about the job though is I also have Maintenance reporting to me. They are a great group of people who make my life easier, and in turn I provide them a "buffer" from all the other BS going on.

But the guy I was talking about was a Shipping and Receiving guy that the Manufacturing Manager wanted trained so that he could redo some signs in the warehouse. Since I am one of the guys signed off as a "trainer", I figured I would train him. He asked for another trainer after that incident.

But here is the way I see it...we work in a very dangerous facility. We deal with some very nasty stuff. We are heavily regulated, and even get visits by Homeland Security because of what we make.

So you always need to be constantly aware of what is going on at all times and he likes to make jokes out of everything and my patience wore thin.

Like you...I'm there to be productive and get my job done. I don't want to be there any longer than I have to be. And we have some completely idiotic people working there that wouldn't be if I had my way. Endangering yourself is one thing, but doing that puts everyone else at risk.

I want to go home intact at the end of the day. I take my job seriously, and don't have any sympathy for those who don't follow suit!!
That's awesome! I'm in a similar type situation but reversed. I'm a Project Coordinator; I handle all the new construction and installation of new equipment. We are food manufacturing facility and our products are highly acidic and flammable so I completely understand the being aware of your environment aspect.

Technically I work in the engineering department of the maintenance end of things but it seems like I'm constantly asking my superior where he is at with getting things finished so that I can move forward with my projects. It's a weird dynamic for me to be working "for" him but he reports to me to a degree.

I was in retail management for years then became a fiber optic tech and once I took this job noticed there were so many opportunities to improve our processes. None of our maintenance employees were certified on Boom/Scissor lifts so I took the initiative to go through an OSHA training class so that I could train those here to keep us on OSHA's good side. I was hired in to my position to handle our capital project budget and push projects across the finish line but now have all little fingers and toes in so many different things, I often wonder how I ended up here.

Last edited by King Rudi; 03-15-2019 at 12:43 PM..
Appreciate 1
Rmtt8222.00