03-15-2019, 12:10 PM   #25
Rmtt
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 128i, 2008 LS3 C6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Now_Rudi View Post
You sound like me. Don't have to be at work until 7:30 but I'm usually here sometime between 6:00-6:30 so I can be left alone before the people that just stand around and talk show up. I typically leave to pick up lunch and eat behind my desk "working" (cough....bimmerpost). The biggest difference is that when 4:30 hits my ass is out of the office with the ground on fire behind me.

What do you do?
Engineering Manager in a Specialty Chemical Plant. My degree is in Electrical Engineering and I specialize in Automation and Controls. DCS's, PLC's, HMI's...etc.

But I have worked in Chemicals for so long, that I ended up promoted to this job. So I get to deal with Reactors and new installs, Process Scale-Ups, Structural Integrity work....you name it..I do it.

Best part about the job though is I also have Maintenance reporting to me. They are a great group of people who make my life easier, and in turn I provide them a "buffer" from all the other BS going on.

But the guy I was talking about was a Shipping and Receiving guy that the Manufacturing Manager wanted trained so that he could redo some signs in the warehouse. Since I am one of the guys signed off as a "trainer", I figured I would train him. He asked for another trainer after that incident.

But here is the way I see it...we work in a very dangerous facility. We deal with some very nasty stuff. We are heavily regulated, and even get visits by Homeland Security because of what we make.

So you always need to be constantly aware of what is going on at all times and he likes to make jokes out of everything and my patience wore thin.

Like you...I'm there to be productive and get my job done. I don't want to be there any longer than I have to be. And we have some completely idiotic people working there that wouldn't be if I had my way. Endangering yourself is one thing, but doing that puts everyone else at risk.

I want to go home intact at the end of the day. I take my job seriously, and don't have any sympathy for those who don't follow suit!!