Run Silent
Run Deep
United_States
Rep
Drives: Back and Forth To Work

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesNoBrakes View Post
Not just pricing, it's trying to keep the inferior rear-engine chassis relevant against superior chassis. It's possible to make it faster with more engineering and $$$ put in to it relatively, but every time they set a record, it becomes easier for the better chassis cars to break it and subsequently harder for Porsche to get back on top each time.

Having enough $$$ for this outlandish R&D cost is probably one huge reason why their pricing is set up the way it is. Most cars at P cost 1.5xbase price with any reasonable options added.

Yes! And I think that is the rub for me. I love the 991, really do. But to me, and I think many others, the price point just doesn't work. Let's face it, while there are plenty of people who drive a Porsche for what it really is, the vast majority are doctors and business execs who simply drive it back and forth to work when the weather is nice.

When one compares a moderately equipped base 911 at $120,000 to an M4 or C63 AMG for nearly half of that, the decision gets difficult. Of course the 911 is a better sports car, but for many buyers, they just cannot justify the premium.

Same goes for the GT cars. For the price of a nicely equipped GT3 or a base GT3 RS, someone can buy a McLaren 570S. This now puts the GT3 into true exotic care territory.