bhenault
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2014 435 x drive msport

Garage List
2006 Bmw 325XI  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Golddots View Post
It is not for everyone. It is a rough field. Your success will depend on a lot of variables. Unfortunately you will have no idea how much you will make until you start somewhere.
I recommend just finding work somewhere to see if it is something you want to do. The brand name tech schools cost quite a bit( when I went to UTI it was about $22kish). If you need to go to school, I would just check your local community college. Either way, the dealer will pay you to get your manufacturer certs. Dont think that you will be making bank after a STEP school or equivelant.
You can do well but you definitely work hard for your money. I love cars, but if I were to do it again I would have chosen a different field. The level of commitment is no joke in the automotive field as a tech.
If you are dead set then dont worry about the brand of car you work on. Just because a tech is working on a bmw, f car, p car, whatever it doesnt mean they make more money. I currently work on Hyundais and declined employement at the following: Tesla, acura, bmw, ferrari, porsche, etc. The top tech at ferrari made less than I did last year. Consider working on vehicles that require cdl for the government. Gov jobs have pensions and benefits that outweigh a typical dealership's flat rate pay in the long run. If you need to do the dealer gig, then work on an asian car. Become a diesel tech if you work on domestics.
If you plan on making any decent money you NEED to get good at diagnosing electrical and driveability problems. If you dont know your way around a wiring diagram, you are just another expendable wrench monkey.

Whatever you do, good luck. You can pm me for questions. Ive been an auto tech for 15 years, ASE master with l1. I do emissions and safety inspections. I was a toyota mdt and now currently a hyundai platinum/genesis tech. FWIW, a good tech is always in demand. I could quit where Im at and find a job tomorrow that will pay me about the same.
Yeah the schools are expensive, I looked at a 60,000 photography school so the price is understandable, and I?m very interested in working in cars so I?m not worried about having the motivation so to speak! Now does a school like UTI or similar go over the electrical and all of the stuff I need to know?
Appreciate 0