View Single Post
      11-16-2016, 02:10 PM   #1
KPop
KPop
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Horse and Buggy

I drove an AMG unicorn last weekend (E63 AMG Wagon)

Video Link:

Context:

My buddy Charlie, who works for a MB dealer in MD, had a 30k mile 2012 E63 AMG wagon and invited me for a drive. These things are super rare, so I gladly accepted the offer.

I'll get straight to the point: This car is an enthusiast's wet-dream. It's got room for 5 people plus tons of cargo space and an engine that can warp time and space in the passing lane. It's the only automatic transmission car I'd ever consider buying outside of an exotic. Original sticker was around $100k, which is a bit absurd for an E-Class wagon, but this CPO model is selling for around $58k which isn't cheap, but not too bad considering what you get.

This particular model came with the optional performance pack which bumps power to an insane 550 and torque to 590 lb-ft routed to the rear-wheels only. Given that it already had a large 5.5L V8 to start, there was zero perceptible lag from the twin-turbos. Thrust and power was immediate and felt endless at all speeds. That's the magic with high-horsepower cars. You never really need to downshift because the torque is always there like man's best friend. 2000 RPM at 40 mph, foot-down and you're gone. This car doesn't care what speed you're going and it gets better the faster you drive. It's such a tease and I secretly hope it never sells because I want to drive it again in the near future.

As a comparison, I drove this back-to-back with a 2017 AWD Jaguar F-Type R and the E63 wagon felt much faster and seemed to pull harder than the Jag, which was already a riot to drive. I think official acceleration times still favor the Jag, but my butt dyno told me the E63 was faster. The Jag did sound much better, though.
Appreciate 1
scostu1623.00