View Single Post
      10-16-2015, 11:10 AM   #34
-BEASTMW-
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 135TX View Post
one of my great friends has a nB miata, an AP2 S2K and an 2006 elise, he tracks the elise and let me say that thing is phenomenal. He smokes all sorts of cars. It doesnt have a lot of power but man he drives the crap out of it. He also daily drives it 85% of the time, and uses the S2K in the rainm the miata just collects dust. LMAO

He is about 160 and 5'8" though so ingress/ egress is easier than my 200lb 6' ass.

On another note there is a guy in my neghborhood with and exige and I always see him and his like7-8 year old son drive it around, like to home depot an shit. I'm thinking WTF do you pick up at Home Depot and fit in that gokart...

Finally YOLO! I say sell the s2K pick up an elise and drive it for a year and by then you can figure out a dad mobile. If anything likely you will come out fairly even on the elise after taxes, his has held value remarkably well. And M3 will be cheaper in a year too, the elise consumables are less than M3 ( but greater than S2K)

But definitely dont compromise on enjoyment, especially before kids. I bought my 135i thinking it was a great compromise for a daily and a track car. What I found out is you gotta drop 10k (LSD, Suspension) in it to make it decent on the track... So after its said and done I could have just bought the M3 ( although im addicted to modding)

Good Luck and report back if you make a decision.
Thanks for the advice! I definitely want to enjoy everything I can, but if anything I've learned recently that certain cars are only enjoyable in certain uses. Case in point: although I think the S2k may be the most fun car I've driven, I haven't fallen in love with it as much as my two past cars (M5 and Integra), and I think it's mainly because it's only good at a couple of things (bulletproof enjoyment on a fun road/track) but sucks at just about everything else. Although I like it, I don't love it like I loved my M5, which put a smile on my face everywhere and was great at so many things, although of course wasn't as sharp and fun on a challenging road.

So as much as going all-out on an Elise and then having something modest for a DD sounds badass, in reality I'm afraid it would only mean that for 95% of my driving I'm not having much fun - either bored in basic car or punished in the Elise (remember my commute is a 70mph cruise). I've heard an S2k is like a Lexus compared to an Elise. Someone on S2ki is selling their Elise because their S2k does 80-90% of the same thing but with a lot less compromise. But yeah, I want to try one soon to see what all the fuss is about. I also worry a bit about the clamshell costs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3Bimmer77 View Post
Dump your wife and upgrade the car!!!! Best of both worlds
Haha I just married her, and she is awesome. Although she doesn't love it when I go to the track (for safety reasons only), she is supportive of my hobby and wants me to get an M3 now instead of later. She tried really hard to talk me out of selling my M5 because she knew how much I loved it, so she's a keeper
Appreciate 0