06-01-2015, 03:16 PM   #30
Mr Tonka
is probably out riding.
United_States
Rep
Drives: Something Italian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcstep View Post
I could never screw up my nerve enough to rely totally on cloud storage. I use it as one level of backup (JPEGs only), but my real storage is composed of two external HDs kept in two locations.

A wedding pro is going to need maybe 10TB, if RAW is kept. Even then, they'll need a destruction plan. Of course, he could shoot RAW and then keep the RAW files for a limited time, destroy them and keep the JPEGs perpetually. I mainly do wildlife and delete 90+% of what I take. A wedding or event photographer should have a much higher keeper rate.

Dave
Yeah, i don't know what i was thinking with 20-30 gigs. Maybe if he does only one wedding a weekend and discards raw files after 30days or something.

I just checked my lap top photo file size and it's 50 gigs worth. Like you i don't keep the majority of what i shoot. And after processing from raw, i'll delete all unprocessed raw files. Then i'll shoot the raw files into a 4tb external back up at home. From there i have another 4tb back up that is my Time Machine mac back up. Last line of defense is the high res jpgs that i've uploaded to my smug mug account.