View Single Post
      10-22-2013, 10:15 AM   #32
ArthurKing1220
Private
Rep
Drives: REDACTED

Quote:
Originally Posted by metrathon View Post
Looks astounding, like true luxury car. Too bad engines are sh!t. The 2.5 is weak and gruff, the 3.0 and 3.5 old, slow and thirsty.

And again, why did they miss an opportunity here? They will sell loads of 4s, charging more for less. Why would they spend time/money on a new & better interior when this one will sell just fine?

Don't confuse customer's POV with company's POV. They are VERY different.

I think about the longer-term health of the brand, not whether they can, in the short term, sell at the absolute highest profit margin by keeping the same interior in a $65k 435i xd that they offer in a base 3-series. If they want to create a higher-market niche for the 4 -- which seems to be their long-term goal -- then they should try to distinguish the car's interior. Long-run, that lets them sustain a price differential between the models -- right now, a lot of the premium is being carried just by the fact that it's a "new" car -- people are overlooking the lack of interior differentiation because it's exciting to see a "new" coupe from BMW. Like I said, I suspect we'll see an interior upgrade with a mid-cycle refresh.
Appreciate 0