M8 AND 8 SERIES
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M8 Forum and 8 Series Forum BMW M8 and 8-Series General Discussion Help with a purchase

04-28-2024, 03:20 PM   #1
infamxkris
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: `16 MW F80 M3

Help with a purchase

Hey guys I am in the market for a M8 and came across one that is out of state so not something I can readily go and check out myself.

I checked the car fax and everything seems to be great besides the fact that the Intake Air Sensor was replaced 7 times!! Almost every time it went in for service the Intake Air Sensor was replaced.

I plan to drive the car back should I purchase about 22hours. The car would have roughly 3 months of warranty left and do not want to get stuck with a car with an issue.

To me because the same sensor was replaced 7 times I am starting to think that is not the issue and the issue could be something else and they cannot figure out what the issue is.

The car is NOT at a BMW dealership if that makes any difference.

Oil change seems to have been changed every 5k miles instead of the recommended 10k and the car and everything else looks really really clean. Has all the options I want etc..

Now, is the Intake Air sensor being replaced 7 times be a reason I should back out of the deal?

Thanks for any help!
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2024, 04:56 PM   #2
Hornethandler
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2023 M850i; 2019 MB SL450

Quote:
Originally Posted by infamxkris View Post
Hey guys I am in the market for a M8 and came across one that is out of state so not something I can readily go and check out myself.

I checked the car fax and everything seems to be great besides the fact that the Intake Air Sensor was replaced 7 times!! Almost every time it went in for service the Intake Air Sensor was replaced.

I plan to drive the car back should I purchase about 22hours. The car would have roughly 3 months of warranty left and do not want to get stuck with a car with an issue.

To me because the same sensor was replaced 7 times I am starting to think that is not the issue and the issue could be something else and they cannot figure out what the issue is.

The car is NOT at a BMW dealership if that makes any difference.

Oil change seems to have been changed every 5k miles instead of the recommended 10k and the car and everything else looks really really clean. Has all the options I want etc..

Now, is the Intake Air sensor being replaced 7 times be a reason I should back out of the deal?

Thanks for any help!
I'm new to this vehicle and don't have much time in, but I'd be very cautious. I.e., 7 repair attempts and only 3 months left on warranty. These cars are computer driven and very complicated, and technicians and engineers are having trouble keeping up. Just recently, on the MB forum, a new SL 63 had its whole engine swapped out because they couldn't determine the cause of a simple check engine light. So, I'd be looking into some kind of extended warranty if available.

Good luck!
Appreciate 1
      04-28-2024, 05:58 PM   #3
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2020 M850i Coupe

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hornethandler View Post
I'm new to this vehicle and don't have much time in, but I'd be very cautious. I.e., 7 repair attempts and only 3 months left on warranty. These cars are computer driven and very complicated, and technicians and engineers are having trouble keeping up. Just recently, on the MB forum, a new SL 63 had its whole engine swapped out because they couldn't determine the cause of a simple check engine light. So, I'd be looking into some kind of extended warranty if available.

Good luck!
Agreed and every manufacturer can produce a lemon (have a friend that has MB buy back his his 2008 SL55 and replace it with a sweet deal on a SL63 that went the distance until he moved on to a RS7). 7 repair attempts is a red flag without a doubt. 3 months left on the warranty considering the milage is not a facto translates to a 2020 M8 with an April/May in-service date.

infamxkris if you move forward I'd factor in at least a 7yr/75K mile BMW Platinum extended warranty. Just depends on the miles you drive and what's on the car now so the 7yr/100K may be more appropriate. It will cover everything outside of "wear and tear" but that is non-applicable to an air intake sensor or whatever other true issue is lurking behind that.

Oil at 5K vs 10K indicates the car has been taken care of by the original owner which is a plus. There are other threads on extended warranty options including a dealer in CA that sells at a forum friends and family discount who I bought mine from for my 2020 M850i.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2024, 07:23 PM   #4
infamxkris
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloozemanAZ View Post
Agreed and every manufacturer can produce a lemon (have a friend that has MB buy back his his 2008 SL55 and replace it with a sweet deal on a SL63 that went the distance until he moved on to a RS7). 7 repair attempts is a red flag without a doubt. 3 months left on the warranty considering the milage is not a facto translates to a 2020 M8 with an April/May in-service date.

infamxkris if you move forward I'd factor in at least a 7yr/75K mile BMW Platinum extended warranty. Just depends on the miles you drive and what's on the car now so the 7yr/100K may be more appropriate. It will cover everything outside of "wear and tear" but that is non-applicable to an air intake sensor or whatever other true issue is lurking behind that.

Oil at 5K vs 10K indicates the car has been taken care of by the original owner which is a plus. There are other threads on extended warranty options including a dealer in CA that sells at a forum friends and family discount who I bought mine from for my 2020 M850i.
This is great information and I think I might back out of the deal due to uncertainty. It seems to me if the same part has been replaced 7 times the true underlying issue is still at question.

Just seems like it can be a bunch of headaches on top of me having to drive 22hours back after picking up the car. Potentially getting stranded across the country doesn’t sound like much fun.

Regarding the extended warranty is this something you need to do at point of sale or can I do this after I make my purchase?

Thanks for all the info!
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2024, 08:02 PM   #5
Dr Thrillride
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2022 M8cs

Garage List
Quote:
This is great information and I think I might back out of the deal due to uncertainty. It seems to me if the same part has been replaced 7 times the true underlying issue is still at question.

Just seems like it can be a bunch of headaches on top of me having to drive 22hours back after picking up the car. Potentially getting stranded across the country doesn’t sound like much fun.

Regarding the extended warranty is this something you need to do at point of sale or can I do this after I make my purchase?

Thanks for all the info!
Hang on though, what is the code that it throws? Can you get that from the mechanic? Nothing done to intake? Mine does the same thing and some very knowledgeable people say it’s a benign code and not worth fretting over. I’d say any code needs to be resolved, but with my engine, I’ve got a tune that deletes the intake sensor CEL. I can look for the code, but not at home at the moment.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2024, 08:37 PM   #6
infamxkris
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Thrillride View Post
Hang on though, what is the code that it throws? Can you get that from the mechanic? Nothing done to intake? Mine does the same thing and some very knowledgeable people say it’s a benign code and not worth fretting over. I’d say any code needs to be resolved, but with my engine, I’ve got a tune that deletes the intake sensor CEL. I can look for the code, but not at home at the moment.
I’ll ask if they can grab any codes. The car is not at a bmw dealership so their knowledge around BMWs will probably be limited.

According to the carfax it seems like the previous owner was dealing with an ongoing issue and the service center he took it to thought it was an intake air sensor.

The symptoms must have been pretty serious for it to be brought in 7 times. Like I said being it was replaced this many times leads me to believe the sensor is not the actual root cause of whatever the issue might be.

Super sad because it’s so hard to find a car with the options I am looking for.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2024, 08:46 PM   #7
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Agreed and hence the call out on that being a red flag.

Quote:

For a BMW extended warranty it does not need to be done at the POS. You can buy one from any BMW dealer with the caveat it has to be done prior to the manufacturer warranty expiring (so can be years or mileage and sounds like years in your case).

If you move forward (although it sounds like you're passing for good reasons) BMW of Camarillo provides the forum friends and family discount on extended warranties. 👍
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2024, 08:46 PM   #8
Dr Thrillride
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2022 M8cs

Garage List
Quote:
I’ll ask if they can grab any codes. The car is not at a bmw dealership so their knowledge around BMWs will probably be limited.

According to the carfax it seems like the previous owner was dealing with an ongoing issue and the service center he took it to thought it was an intake air sensor.

The symptoms must have been pretty serious for it to be brought in 7 times. Like I said being it was replaced this many times leads me to believe the sensor is not the actual root cause of whatever the issue might be.

Super sad because it’s so hard to find a car with the options I am looking for.
But what lunatic-shop would replace it 7 times? Something fishy there

If it’s a crankcase air code, which I think it will be, it’s not a thing. This is the same code the eventuri intakes was throwing even with the new gaskets they sent. Go back to stock intakes, hundreds of miles later, no code. Put Eventuris back on, same crankcase code right away. This from my trusted BMW mechanic at Motorwerkes. Tuner at Active Autoworks says he tunes that code out all the time. I just don’t know if you’ve got this same silly code.

Blooze is right though, try for the warranty.

It’s not necessarily serious because who wants to look at a CEL, any CEL
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2024, 09:23 PM   #9
infamxkris
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloozemanAZ View Post
Agreed and hence the call out on that being a red flag.

For a BMW extended warranty it does not need to be done at the POS. You can buy one from any BMW dealer with the caveat it has to be done prior to the manufacturer warranty expiring (so can be years or mileage and sounds like years in your case).

If you move forward (although it sounds like you're passing for good reasons) BMW of Camarillo provides the forum friends and family discount on extended warranties. 👍
Do you have a contact at BMW of Camarillo? This is great info for when I finally find my m8!!!
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2024, 09:25 PM   #10
infamxkris
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Thrillride View Post
But what lunatic-shop would replace it 7 times? Something fishy there

If it’s a crankcase air code, which I think it will be, it’s not a thing. This is the same code the eventuri intakes was throwing even with the new gaskets they sent. Go back to stock intakes, hundreds of miles later, no code. Put Eventuris back on, same crankcase code right away. This from my trusted BMW mechanic at Motorwerkes. Tuner at Active Autoworks says he tunes that code out all the time. I just don’t know if you’ve got this same silly code.

Blooze is right though, try for the warranty.

It’s not necessarily serious because who wants to look at a CEL, any CEL
In the case of a crankcase air code is it just a CEL that it throws or does it affect the drivability of the car. I ask this because the drive back would be 22 hours and if this "air sensor issue" would cause me to break down on my drive home this would be a hard pass.

I understand with limited information its very hard to say for sure. I will be calling them back tomorrow to find out more information.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2024, 09:52 PM   #11
Velvet Fog
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 M850

Garage List
2023 BMW M850i  [0.00]
My advice, run far, run fast. There are plenty of nice M8s of all varieties out there for sale. Pass on this one. The multiple replacements are a red flag as well as a non-BMW dealer.

I've purchased and owned multiple BMW and Mercedes as lightly used and owned them past the factory warranty period. Buy only from a BMW dealer, get a CPO warranty extension and only buy a warranty extension if you need the comfort. Extended warranties are expensive, the warranty companies have access to a far larger data set of service history, have better statisticians and are in the business to make a profit. You're better off putting 5k in a 5% CD to cover any problems that may arise.

The 8 series is a mature product and the S/N63 engine has had many of the earlier generation problems worked out.

Keep looking, the car you want it out there, you just need patience.
Appreciate 4
nv3353.00
NGT25725.50
      04-28-2024, 10:06 PM   #12
infamxkris
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velvet Fog View Post
My advice, run far, run fast. There are plenty of nice M8s of all varieties out there for sale. Pass on this one. The multiple replacements are a red flag as well as a non-BMW dealer.

I've purchased and owned multiple BMW and Mercedes as lightly used and owned them past the factory warranty period. Buy only from a BMW dealer, get a CPO warranty extension and only buy a warranty extension if you need the comfort. Extended warranties are expensive, the warranty companies have access to a far larger data set of service history, have better statisticians and are in the business to make a profit. You're better off putting 5k in a 5% CD to cover any problems that may arise.

The 8 series is a mature product and the S/N63 engine has had many of the earlier generation problems worked out.

Keep looking, the car you want it out there, you just need patience.
Thank you for your words. To be honest this is probably what I needed to hear right now before making a decision I most likely will regret later down the road.
Appreciate 1
      04-28-2024, 10:08 PM   #13
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
In the case of a crankcase air code is it just a CEL that it throws or does it affect the drivability of the car. I ask this because the drive back would be 22 hours and if this "air sensor issue" would cause me to break down on my drive home this would be a hard pass.

I understand with limited information its very hard to say for sure. I will be calling them back tomorrow to find out more information.
I'd take Dr Thrillride's input as he's well versed in mods, etc. I haven't modded anything outside of coding adaptive headlights and pulling the fuses for the flaps and ASD on my M850i. That's childs play "mods" vs what others on this forum have in experience of serious mods.

CEL aka "check engine light" can be 100% innocuous aka an annoyance vs something serious as it's an "idiot switch" light/indicator. If it's a CEL because you are running low on oil big red flag. If because of an air intake is throwing it but not an issue with the actual airflow to the engine then innocuous.

Hard to say but 7 times replacement smells like innocuous (if it even threw a CEL) and there is something else that is the true cause. Understand the concern though with a 22 hour drive and not knowing if a true issue or not.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2024, 10:11 PM   #14
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Thank you for your words. To be honest this is probably what I needed to hear right now before making a decision I most likely will regret later down the road.
Yep run like the wind as something just doesn't seem right. The extended warranty would protect you but why walk into a situation that the original dealer couldn't even determine the issue? Perhaps they were just lazy but why take on that baggage.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2024, 10:11 PM   #15
infamxkris
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

What is also weird is that every time the car went in to get the intake air sensor replaced ONE tire gets replaced as well each and every time. It is only one tire and its every single time it goes into service.

Are these 2 things related in any way? This seems so bizzare. At one instance the car went back within a 2 week time frame and had the air sensor and one tire replaced both times. This continues for a total of 7 times. So weird...
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2024, 06:38 AM   #16
Hornethandler
Enlisted Member
Rep

Another consideration:
If you decide to get an extended warranty, the vehicle will most likely have to pass a BMW inspection—usually a few hundred $. A good thing, though, because the dealer is incentivized to ensure the vehicle is in good working order before applying the extended warranty. That is, the dealer is on the hook for snags once the extended warranty kicks in.

Also, you will need to demonstrate (objective evidence) that the required maintenance was done during the service life of the vehicle. Do you know where the vehicle was serviced? Can you get the records?

Re.: your tires:
4 wheel drive vehicles like to have even tread depth on all 4 corners. If there is uneven tread depth, it can damage the vehicle drive train. Typically 20% difference is the max allowable.

Last edited by Hornethandler; 04-29-2024 at 07:04 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2024, 09:03 AM   #17
Seaford
Permanently confused
Rep
Drives: 840i M Sport Gran Coupe

Personally I would steer clear. Maybe slightly less nervous if it was being sold by a BMW main dealer.

At the end of the day there are plenty M8s out there…and I guarantee you will find one you like even more.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2024, 11:20 AM   #18
Powerwhee
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: i4 M50

I’d be weary that this M8 was returned as a lemon if they replaced the same sensor 7 times. There’s plenty of nice M8s around, just keep looking, IMO.

I got my 2020 M8 Comp with literally every option and 2,750 miles on the clock for $92K a few months ago. More deals like this are sure to pop up IMO.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2024, 01:09 PM   #19
infamxkris
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Would an expired factory warranty be a deal breaker to any of you guys? Only because this means you cannot extend with BMW anymore.

Found one that has way less miles, clean service history.

Only flaws are that the factory warranty is expired, one of the wheels lips is entirely curb rashed which they say they will fix and that this was the GM's vehicle at this NON Bmw dealership. My paranoia is if there was any accidents or damage this is a person that can get it fixed or repaired without it getting on carfax due being a GM at a dealership. Also, before this dealership purchased the car they bought the car from a BMW dealership who was using it as a demo car. This means potentially it was abused from customers wanting to test the car out.

Car buying is extremely stressful, especially used..
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2024, 02:16 PM   #20
Seaford
Permanently confused
Rep
Drives: 840i M Sport Gran Coupe

Quote:
Would an expired factory warranty be a deal breaker to any of you guys? Only because this means you cannot extend with BMW anymore.

Only flaws are that the factory warranty is expired, one of the wheels lips is entirely curb rashed which they say they will fix and that this was the GM's vehicle at this NON Bmw dealership. My paranoia is if there was any accidents or damage this is a person that can get it fixed or repaired without it getting on carfax due being a GM at a dealership. Also, before this dealership purchased the car they bought the car from a BMW dealership who was using it as a demo car. This means potentially it was abused from customers wanting to test the car out.

Yes it’s a lot of money to lay out. Maybe getting an independent inspection might be an idea?

Personally I wouldn’t worry too much about buying an ex-demo car…….most people will be pretty cautious when stepping into a strange vehicle…probably with a hefty excess…….and even if not they are doing what the car is built to do.

I never thought that way until I went to a Yamaha Race School and made a throwaway comment about not wanting to buy one of their R1s when they had finished with it….the instructor reckoned they would be a great buy as they were being ‘used properly’. I ended up buying one for a song…..he was right.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2024, 02:18 PM   #21
Hornethandler
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:

Sorry, not getting a "warm and fuzzy" on this one either.

I know how eager you are to get into one of these, but they're highly complex machines and I wouldn't recommend one unless it has a clean history and a decent amount of "factory" warranty. Extended warranties are fine, but they have exclusions which could still leave you with an expensive repair.

We had a saying: "If you don't know what to do, don't do anything."

Hang in there; the right one will come along.
Good luck!
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2024, 02:35 PM   #22
infamxkris
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hornethandler View Post
Sorry, not getting a "warm and fuzzy" on this one either.

I know how eager you are to get into one of these, but they're highly complex machines and I wouldn't recommend one unless it has a clean history and a decent amount of "factory" warranty. Extended warranties are fine, but they have exclusions which could still leave you with an expensive repair.

We had a saying: "If you don't know what to do, don't do anything."

Hang in there; the right one will come along.
Good luck!
I appreciate all your feedback. Yeah this dealer is requiring I pay for their LoJack and auto protection pack for $1995. I got them to discount the $1000 from that amount but still being forced to buy something I don’t want or need doesn’t sit right with me. Also, the curb rash on one of the rear wheels has me bothered because it’s damaged on the entire circumference of the rim lip. One would think if you feel that you are curbing your rim you would stop and not keep going to avoid damaging the entirety of the lip. Again, super weird to me..

When you say I should look for a car with a good amount of factory warranty left would a car with a couple months of factory warranty left be ok if I plan to extend the warranty with BMW? Or should I just be looking for CPO cars altogether?
Appreciate 0