M8 AND 8 SERIES
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M8 Forum and 8 Series Forum BMW M8 and 8-Series General Discussion Carbon Fiber Repair

04-29-2024, 09:38 AM   #23
Moopai
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: M850GC Tanzanite Blue Metallic

The weird part is I did not even get close to go through the clear coat with my sanding so I have no idea why the colour of the CF looks the way it does and it changes from different angles. I've seen people on Youtube sanding a CF piece with 320 or 600 sandpaper and remove the clear coat completely but still have the original colours of the CF (black/Grey).

So what I don't understand is why on this little spot, the CF colours are showing more on the yellowish side from certain angle. Anyway, I'm getting the car ceramic coated this week, I'm going to ask the shop to look into this issue and see if they can improve it. Again, I'm looking for a 100% resolution but something better than what I have now!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Rust View Post
I feel for you. I went back and forth on ordering the CF package because of this issue. It is nearly impossible to make a significant repair with mortal methods and the only practical remedy is replacement. Eventually I relented and got 71C CF exterior package because...reasons...but mostly it's that precious just likes it that way.

It's hard to interpret the image, but if you've not gone through the epoxy to the fiber, then it's possible that the sanding/polishing exposed a different layer of epoxy. Or maybe some amount of UV/weathering/grime got polished away too.

Did the car have a ceramic coat? I'm not real sure what's going on in the chemistry bottomless bonanza on the ceramics market, but maybe that added a slight coloration over time.

If the sanding did get through to the fiber and polished it smooth too then, unfortunately, it is what it is because it's been changed mechanically. In principal, you'd be able to feel the fibers with your finger, but do be careful because CF splinters are pure evil. The irregular appears of the weave and graphite appearance makes me think that's possible but I could be misinterpreting the image artefacts.
Appreciate 0