M8 AND 8 SERIES
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M8 Forum and 8 Series Forum BMW M8 and 8-Series General Discussion Downshift Question/Problem

05-03-2024, 05:02 PM   #1
Kansr
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BSM M8

Downshift Question/Problem

I think I’m going a bit crazy (thanks for settling some nerves)…feels like the car is no longer downshifting automatically on D1 or any D for that matter.

Scenario, hit 45-60, and let off gas. The car is ‘no longer’ downshifting automatically as I slow down, it’ll stay in whatever gear I was at doing 50 (for example 6th-7) until about 1k RPM then go through the gears back down to 1. At which point I’m either at a stop or just about.

I do not recall this… It‘s almost like I hit the pedal’s (but infinitely). I do have a service appointment scheduled just in case, recently got an oil change.

Maybe I’ve been ignoring this behavior all along, doesn’t feel normal. Sounds and feels like I’m on manual mode and don’t know when to properly shift.
      05-05-2024, 02:25 PM   #2
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2020 M850i Coupe

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kansr View Post
I think I’m going a bit crazy (thanks for settling some nerves)…feels like the car is no longer downshifting automatically on D1 or any D for that matter.

Scenario, hit 45-60, and let off gas. The car is ‘no longer’ downshifting automatically as I slow down, it’ll stay in whatever gear I was at doing 50 (for example 6th-7) until about 1k RPM then go through the gears back down to 1. At which point I’m either at a stop or just about.

I do not recall this… It‘s almost like I hit the pedal’s (but infinitely). I do have a service appointment scheduled just in case, recently got an oil change.

Maybe I’ve been ignoring this behavior all along, doesn’t feel normal. Sounds and feels like I’m on manual mode and don’t know when to properly shift.
That does sound like a problem. In my M850i in full auto D will downshift as my speed slows for stop lights or the school zone near my house. Even in manual it will do so on its own which I jokingly tell myself it's the idiot switch override in case I'm asleep at the wheel. 😜
Appreciate 1
Kansr164.50
      05-05-2024, 08:28 PM   #3
Kansr
Private First Class
Rep

Thanks Blooze, I wasn’t sure you know…one of those things you don’t pay attention too anymore. I also noticed it’s shifting to higher gears at slower speeds. I was cruising around town and at 34mph it was asking for 7th gear. I really hope it’s software related.

Got my appointment tomorrow.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2024, 02:36 AM   #4
Seaford
Permanently confused
Rep
Drives: 840i M Sport Gran Coupe

Quote:
Thanks Blooze, I wasn’t sure you know…one of those things you don’t pay attention too anymore. I also noticed it’s shifting to higher gears at slower speeds. I was cruising around town and at 34mph it was asking for 7th gear. I really hope it’s software related.

Got my appointment tomorrow.
Might sound daft…are you sure you hadn’t knocked the selector into manual mode? My 840 was shifting in an unusual manner last week on a short journey - nothing alarming, just unusual….when I parked up I think it was in manual. Perfectly fine since then.

Some people shouldn’t be allowed near machinery
Appreciate 1
Kansr164.50
      05-06-2024, 05:02 AM   #5
Broccoli-mobile
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW M8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaford View Post
Might sound daft…are you sure you hadn’t knocked the selector into manual mode? My 840 was shifting in an unusual manner last week on a short journey - nothing alarming, just unusual….when I parked up I think it was in manual. Perfectly fine since then.

Some people shouldn’t be allowed near machinery
Haha, I have also done this in the past. Too much technology for my own good.

OP: hope your appointment goes well and that they are able to get it figured out.
Appreciate 1
Kansr164.50
      05-06-2024, 08:25 AM   #6
Kansr
Private First Class
Rep

I wish that was the issue Seaford so I could laugh at myself. Here now, will update when I know.

Update: Tech diagnosed no codes, he’s saying car is functioning normally. Going to submit his findings to see if bmw can advise on any known issues etc etc. More to come.

Last edited by Kansr; 05-06-2024 at 10:02 AM..
Appreciate 1
Seaford1164.00
      05-06-2024, 10:20 AM   #7
Kansr
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloozemanAZ View Post
That does sound like a problem. In my M850i in full auto D will downshift as my speed slows for stop lights or the school zone near my house. Even in manual it will do so on its own which I jokingly tell myself it's the idiot switch override in case I'm asleep at the wheel. 😜
I guess my question here is… if you let it coast from let’s say 50 where you are probably at the highest gear Do you go back to 7 or 6 even 5 if you come off the gas and start slowing down?

I’m stuck on 7 or even 8 at 30mph (coming from 50) like the car is waiting for me to either hit the brake or hit the gas, as I come to about 1.5 to 1k rpm, then and only then will it start to downshift or If i hit the brakes. Hitting the gas and the gear indicator changes to something it believes it should be at the current speed.

Granted i’m in the M8 i don’t think this is normal. It doesn’t feel normal, it’s been 9 months of driving and I don’t remember experiencing this.
      05-06-2024, 12:46 PM   #8
Tenac
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: All

Quote:
I guess my question here is… if you let it coast from let’s say 50 where you are probably at the highest gear Do you go back to 7 or 6 even 5 if you come off the gas and start slowing down?

I’m stuck on 7 or even 8 at 30mph (coming from 50) like the car is waiting for me to either hit the brake or hit the gas, as I come to about 1.5 to 1k rpm, then and only then will it start to downshift or If i hit the brakes. Hitting the gas and the gear indicator changes to something it believes it should be at the current speed.

Granted i’m in the M8 i don’t think this is normal. It doesn’t feel normal, it’s been 9 months of driving and I don’t remember experiencing this.
Next time I'm out I'll try this. Are you in normal mode or any sport mode? I know mine in D3 does not hang on to 7 that long at all, unless maybe I'm coasting from half mile back.. lol
2015 M235 Manual
On the list for the M2 CS
Appreciate 2
Vic5519709.50
Kansr164.50
      05-06-2024, 02:14 PM   #9
Vic55
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW M8 Competition Coupe

D3 will wind down the gears or should unless ... you do a very very slow coast down and then would not aggressively shift down.
2020 Audi R8 V10 Performance Suzuka Gray
2012 Mercedes Benz C63 AMG Black Series Obsidian Black
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2024, 03:28 PM   #10
Kansr
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenac View Post
Next time I'm out I'll try this. Are you in normal mode or any sport mode? I know mine in D3 does not hang on to 7 that long at all, unless maybe I'm coasting from half mile back.. lol
D1…all normal settings after car is turned on (warmed up). Everything Vanilla.