M8 AND 8 SERIES
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M8 Forum and 8 Series Forum BMW M8 and 8-Series General Discussion Help with a purchase

04-29-2024, 03:31 PM   #23
Hornethandler
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2023 M850i; 2019 MB SL450

Quote:
Originally Posted by infamxkris View Post
I appreciate all your feedback. Yeah this dealer is requiring I pay for their LoJack and auto protection pack for $1995. I got them to discount the $1000 from that amount but still being forced to buy something I don’t want or need doesn’t sit right with me. Also, the curb rash on one of the rear wheels has me bothered because it’s damaged on the entire circumference of the rim lip. One would think if you feel that you are curbing your rim you would stop and not keep going to avoid damaging the entirety of the lip. Again, super weird to me..

When you say I should look for a car with a good amount of factory warranty left would a car with a couple months of factory warranty left be ok if I plan to extend the warranty with BMW? Or should I just be looking for CPO cars altogether?
I hear you on the LoJack and protection pack. We have something similar and it's just a money grab.

"Good amount of factory warranty."? It's kind of a personal feel good thing, but CPO would be the way to go if you can. Failing that, I'd like to see at least 6 months. That way you'll have time to wring out any problems and get them documented. Granted, even getting documented intermittent snags repaired after warranty can be difficult, but at least you've got it on record.

I may not be the best source of info. on used cars as I've been fortunate to buy new the last many years; however, I'm sure others will weigh in with their experience.
For me it comes down to risk tolerance.

Right now, for the first time in 40 years, I have car without warranty. I bought it new so I know its history, and because I love the car so much, I'm willing to take the risk of an expensive repair. An extended warranty (2 +1 yr. powertrain) was close to 8K USD., so I passed.

If you're in no rush just keep pounding the pavement. Your car will eventually show up and you'll feel "right" about it.

Good luck.

Last edited by Hornethandler; 04-29-2024 at 03:51 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2024, 04:34 PM   #24
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2020 M850i Coupe

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hornethandler View Post
I hear you on the LoJack and protection pack. We have something similar and it's just a money grab.
Complete $ grab as once you take possession of a BMW, register it in "my garage" and hook up the MyBMW app it has built-in location at all times. My wife jokes that I'm stalking her but rather I just check when she's not home at the normal hour to see where the car is to ensure she's safe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hornethandler View Post
"Good amount of factory warranty."? It's kind of a personal feel good thing, but CPO would be the way to go if you can. Failing that, I'd like to see at least 6 months. That way you'll have time to wring out any problems and get them documented. Granted, even getting documented intermittent snags repaired after warranty can be difficult, but at least you've got it on record.
A CPO may be the way to go or at least 6 months of factory warranty left. In either case if desired you can add a BMW warranty for further piece of mind if desired. I'm not a fan of extended warranties and just laugh when the big box store sales people ask "would you like to add extended coverage?". Uh "no".

My BMW Platinum is the first extended warranty I've ever bought period. Not doing it for my wife's LCI 40i nor did for her 2017 X5. The 8-series is just a more complicated beast and if the LCI holds up like the 2017 no need whatsoever.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2024, 06:35 PM   #25
NGT2
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M550i xDrive (2020)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Velvet Fog View Post
Keep looking, the car you want it out there, you just need patience.
Not aimed at me but thank you, I needed to hear it!

I’m not quite in the 8 market yet, that may be 2025. But I’m currently trying to find the right ‘22 X7 M50 for my wife and forgot how difficult the patience part can be!

OP - he’s right, the car is out there and you’ll find it. Took months to find my M550, which did end up coming from a Mercedes dealer but I had the history totally vetted and it’s been a great car!

RETIRED: 2018 540i Luxury Line (Dark Graphite/Canberra Beige)
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2024, 06:59 PM   #26
infamxkris
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: `16 MW F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGT2 View Post
Not aimed at me but thank you, I needed to hear it!

I’m not quite in the 8 market yet, that may be 2025. But I’m currently trying to find the right ‘22 X7 M50 for my wife and forgot how difficult the patience part can be!

OP - he’s right, the car is out there and you’ll find it. Took months to find my M550, which did end up coming from a Mercedes dealer but I had the history totally vetted and it’s been a great car!
I'm glad my thread could help you out as well. Good luck to you as well sir!
Appreciate 1
NGT25730.00