M8 AND 8 SERIES
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M8 Forum and 8 Series Forum BMW M8 and 8-Series General Discussion What would you do? Dealer banged up my 0 miles M850

05-07-2024, 02:02 PM   #1
tfire
Rep
Drives: 2025 850i Vert / 2021 Audi SQ8

What would you do? Dealer banged up my 0 miles M850

Looking for some advice fellas. After an unusually long time at the Baltimore VPC, BMW finally delivered my new 2025 M850 to the dealership. But the passenger side lower air dam has been crunched. (See photos) Dealer says no prob, easy fix but I'm wondering about diminished value. The car will certainly need a new front end bumper cover at the least plus since the car is a non stock Imola Red color I'm worried it won't match. Should I just walk away? What would you do?
Attached Images

2007 MB ML63 AMG (gone)
2004 MB E55 AMG (gone)
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2024, 02:11 PM   #2
loochy
I like to eat eat eat apples and bananas
Rep
Drives: 2020 M8 Comp, 2016 M2, 2021 X5

They'll fix it and it will match. I bet they'll replace the entire front cover...I don't think they'll be able to bend that plastic back and fill it. But even if they do kind of patch it and respray, just let them fix it. This kind of thing happens more often than you'd think. It shouldn't diminish value any because it's not an insurance claim that will show up on a carfax, and front lip and bumper damage is probably THE most common cosmetic issue on all cars (well, that and curb rash).
Appreciate 4
tfire1.50
Seaford1164.00
TupperBMW1016.00
      05-07-2024, 02:36 PM   #3
MACHT
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '23 M8, '23 AT4X, '24 JCW

Hire a hitman?
Appreciate 3
tfire1.50
Chaos236210.00
      05-07-2024, 02:50 PM   #4
Hornethandler
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2023 M850i; 2019 MB SL450

Sorry to hear you’re in this situation.

1. You cannot match the quality/durability of factory paint.
2. I’d be very uncomfortable doing body work on a brand-new vehicle. Don’t forget, all the upfront sensors will need recalibrating as well.
3. Unless they’re going to discount the vehicle by a substantial amount—it’s up to you but I wouldn’t consider anything under 10K—I would walk away from this vehicle.
4. Record the vin in case they pull a fast one, i.e., try to sell you the car at a later date as a different one.
5. If you’re asking what I’d do… I wouldn’t even consider a discount, I’d walk.

I hope it all works out for you and that you’re satisfied/comfortable with the outcome.

Good Luck!
Appreciate 1
tfire1.50
      05-07-2024, 02:59 PM   #5
Dr Thrillride
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2022 M8cs

Garage List
Because it will need paint, the entire front bumper will need to be replaced. That’s the only way to repair it, period. There’s no other cheap solution.

Shit happens, but how long have you waited for this car and is it perfect for you?

If you’re not excited about it because it’s not perfect, probably a good opportunity to walk. If it’s been way too long because of the paint you wanted, and the car is perfect for you, let them replace the bumper. It’s no big deal. I’ve had my entire front bumper off for mods and have replaced the rear bumper once (wife hit it with her X6 in the garage). Easy peasy.

Is there any other damage on the car? Any signs of overall mistreatment?

Add to the deal that the front bumper needs to be ppf’d by a professional to protect the paint. You’re probably going to do that regardless.
Appreciate 1
      05-07-2024, 03:41 PM   #6
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2020 M850i Coupe

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Thrillride View Post
Because it will need paint, the entire front bumper will need to be replaced. That’s the only way to repair it, period. There’s no other cheap solution.
Absolutely.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Thrillride View Post
Shit happens, but how long have you waited for this car and is it perfect for you?

If you’re not excited about it because it’s not perfect, probably a good opportunity to walk. If it’s been way too long because of the paint you wanted, and the car is perfect for you, let them replace the bumper. It’s no big deal. I’ve had my entire front bumper off for mods and have replaced the rear bumper once (wife hit it with her X6 in the garage). Easy peasy.
I'd also add that given the front bumper is in essence plastic with embedded paint the dealer can do the absolute right thing and order one from the factory in Imola Red. It's doable and then you end up with factory paint. The other option as called out just let them replace the bumber and depending on their skills for paint you'll never know the difference.

If there is a difference you can see them walk away. Don't take delivery until either option is done. In either case as called out you'll need to PPF the entire front end, rockers, A pillars, etc. but you want that paint to match before doing so.

Feel your pain and wishing the best outcome for you. 👍
Appreciate 1
tfire1.50
      05-07-2024, 03:46 PM   #7
italian926
Private
Rep
Drives: 2022 530i

You arent PPFing a fresh paint job, youll have to wait a month or so. My dealership told me 6 weeks which seems a bit much.
Appreciate 1
      05-07-2024, 03:50 PM   #8
KillerBlackRhino
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW F93 M8 GC Competition

Garage List
The only way I would accept delivery is if they replaced, mot repaired, every piece that was broken. I would have to be sure that it wouldn’t show up on the repair records because that could diminish future value. They would also have to add some kind of sweetener to the deal. You bought a brand new car free of defects and that’s what they should have to sell you.
Appreciate 1
tfire1.50
      05-07-2024, 04:22 PM   #9
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by italian926 View Post
You arent PPFing a fresh paint job, youll have to wait a month or so. My dealership told me 6 weeks which seems a bit much.
Agreed but get it from the factory in Imola Red and then good to go. Dealer paints and one will have to wait at least 3 weeks (depends on ambient temperatures, etc) so calling out 6 is the safe route.
Appreciate 1
tfire1.50
      05-07-2024, 04:37 PM   #10
dubbrand
Private
Rep
Drives: 22 GC M850i

I got special order twilight purple. The shop that the dealer had do my PPFF cut into the paint on my hood with an exacto knife when installing it, which they did incorrectly in three pieces. They didn't have a big enough piece of the film. Shop repainted it. Person at the dealership decided to take it through the car wash for me and swirled the shit out of it. Had to wait a month since new paint but they buffed it out and did PPFF and could never tell it's not painted from the factory. I'd just let the dealership get a new bumper and paint it or order one from the factory. Someone said recalibrate the front sensors, maybe it's a bmw thing but I put the RSQ8 bumper on my Q8 myself and didn't have to recalibrate anything and had all the options they offered.
Appreciate 1
tfire1.50
      05-07-2024, 04:45 PM   #11
tfire
Rep

So much great advice! I knew you guys would understand. Technically I think it was damaged by the transport company. If they use their insurance to repair the car, will that show up on a car fax? Thinking of walking away. I’d hate to discover a shimmy at high speeds. But damn, the Imola Red is superb up close.
2007 MB ML63 AMG (gone)
2004 MB E55 AMG (gone)
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2024, 04:47 PM   #12
Tenac
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: All

If you have the work done before it is titled to you it will no be reported so there is no value hit long run. Obviously that needs to be fully replaced though first and must be as good as new before I would take actual ownership.
2015 M235 Manual
On the list for the M2 CS
Appreciate 3
tfire1.50
      05-07-2024, 05:41 PM   #13
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by dubbrand View Post
I got special order twilight purple. The shop that the dealer had do my PPFF cut into the paint on my hood with an exacto knife when installing it, which they did incorrectly in three pieces. They didn't have a big enough piece of the film. Shop repainted it. Person at the dealership decided to take it through the car wash for me and swirled the shit out of it. Had to wait a month since new paint but they buffed it out and did PPFF and could never tell it's not painted from the factory. I'd just let the dealership get a new bumper and paint it or order one from the factory. Someone said recalibrate the front sensors, maybe it's a bmw thing but I put the RSQ8 bumper on my Q8 myself and didn't have to recalibrate anything and had all the options they offered.
Sorry to hear your pain aka horror story as well. Just to confirm though when the bumper on a 8-series is pulled it may require the sensors and front camera to be recalibrated. Have that in the quote from the Penske repair shop my BMW dealer is part of along with A (Audi) to Z (technically Bentley but hey it's a Z in the car world).

The quote was written to include the calibration "if necessary" so it may or may be not be required but respect their professionalism on including it vs "surprise" here comes an extra charge as it was necessary to do so.
Appreciate 1
tfire1.50
      05-07-2024, 07:06 PM   #14
tfire
Rep

Thanks so very much for your help and support. I feel better prepared to deal with the situation. Waited months for the car to be built, tracked it across the Atlantic and was so excited to have the whole summer to cruise with it. I am deeply disappointed but in the end it’s just a car. I will insist on some level of price adjustment or just walk away. Maybe the insurance company will include a diminished value settlement with the claim. We’ll see. Thanks again. I will keep you all informed how things progress.
2007 MB ML63 AMG (gone)
2004 MB E55 AMG (gone)
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2024, 08:36 PM   #15
ctelimad
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: bmw m8

Quote:
Originally Posted by tfire View Post
Thanks so very much for your help and support. I feel better prepared to deal with the situation. Waited months for the car to be built, tracked it across the Atlantic and was so excited to have the whole summer to cruise with it. I am deeply disappointed but in the end it’s just a car. I will insist on some level of price adjustment or just walk away. Maybe the insurance company will include a diminished value settlement with the claim. We’ll see. Thanks again. I will keep you all informed how things progress.
I had kind of similar situation on my M8 but little different
Went for a regular service and got the car back with front bumper damaged kind of similar thing and needed a replacement and spray
Dealer tried to hide it but thank god found out before leaving the lot(always check my after service)
They did replace and spray it and the color was matching (montego red) but i noticed since then my front bumper paint will peel off easily from rock ships (not same quality or clear coating compared to the original paint)
My car was lease so i returned it
Long story short there is a possibility that the car will look stock again but the paint /clear coat may not be the same quality as original (at least this was my experience)
Hope that helps
Appreciate 1
tfire1.50
      05-07-2024, 10:19 PM   #16
shawntech
The Wolf
United_States
Rep
Drives: stuff

Garage List
  [0.00]
2019 BMW M850i conv ...  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctelimad View Post
I had kind of similar situation on my M8 but little different
Went for a regular service and got the car back with front bumper damaged kind of similar thing and needed a replacement and spray
Dealer tried to hide it but thank god found out before leaving the lot(always check my after service)
They did replace and spray it and the color was matching (montego red) but i noticed since then my front bumper paint will peel off easily from rock ships (not same quality or clear coating compared to the original paint)
My car was lease so i returned it
Long story short there is a possibility that the car will look stock again but the paint /clear coat may not be the same quality as original (at least this was my experience)
Hope that helps

+1 never underestimate how much the dealer will lie to you and a scuff and shoot will chip insanely easier than factory paint. I went through this exercise on a new vehicle 10yrs ago and even after making them paint it again and leaving it parked 3 weeks unmoved to cure it chipped just as awfully. Ultimately the only solve was sell the car.
Appreciate 1
tfire1.50