M8 AND 8 SERIES
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M8 Forum and 8 Series Forum BMW M8 and 8-Series General Discussion Production BMW 8 Series leaked !!

01-15-2018, 05:26 AM   #287
advantage20
Major
France
Rep
Drives: 330d

Probably not very meaningful at this point but still noteworthy - this prototype is a standard M Sport 850i, not an M Performance M850i as suggested by the latest available information. And the front bumper is the 'old style' M Sport bumper (like 4er or new 6 GT) with clean cut air intakes and seemingly no decorative trim pieces. As opposed to the 'new style' with L-shape or C-shape trim pieces highliting the two side air intakes (like 7er or 5er), which are black on the standard M Sport and become Cerium Gray on the M Performance versions.

So maybe the 8er M Sport front bumper was designed (like the 6 GT?) with already in mind the idea that there won't be any M Performance version, or maybe this picture is just too grainy to distinguish the trim pieces. Ultimately they can of course add two Cerium Gray angle pieces if they intend to make it an M Performance M850i, but the front bumper just doesn't seem to be designed to accomodate these, unless again the picture is misleading. In theory they might also put the old horizontal fin style M Performance trim pieces which sliced the air intakes through the middle on the old style bumper (like on F10 M550d or F15 X5 M50d), but this seems highly unlikely given that these have since evolved into angle placed L-shape pieces.

Last edited by advantage20; 01-15-2018 at 12:46 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2018, 07:08 AM   #288
JK479
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: I6-> iX

Quote:
Originally Posted by advantage20 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by JK479 View Post
I hope BMW discontinues this weird gray "sporty" Diffuser color.

Go back to the days when there was an M and there was a Sport Pack.

Like the e46- great example of adding a sport pack that was beautiful.

Next 3 will be m340i and that gray diffuser is here for another go around.

I'm personally fine with this styling cue as long as the color leans towards black, not grey as on the first generation 1 Series for example. Unfortunately the hue seems to vary among models up to this day, hopefully it will ultimately freeze to jet black across the lineup and match the other M Sport specific bits (grille slats, Shadowline window trim, lower bumper air intake trim, Air Breather trim...).

The obvious point of this design effect being, I think, to visually simulate a void in that area, like on a racing car with an actually functional diffuser, so the darker the color, the better the illusion. The actual effect is making the rear visually slimmer and more athletic and as if standing with feet wider apart.
I'm in agreement- why not a nice plastic like MB or Audi?

On a white m sport- a rear bumper painted gray and white isn't sporty to me. Even black would be better! Frozen colors would work here too.

But this weird cerium gray, atleast make it make wheels and other bits. And ... offer the option to have it all the same color! I'd spent another 1000.00 for this. Easily.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2018, 08:08 AM   #289
r20
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 328

Quote:
Originally Posted by Germanauto View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by advantage20 View Post
B.O.R.I.N.G.
I'm going to move to Mercedes. Their cars just look so much better interior and exterior.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2018, 12:48 PM   #290
stefan
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by babaikram View Post
It is unbelievable the level of condemnation on this forum on anything new from BMW and the glee if BMW sales data do not hold up and the silence when BMW sales data are good. It almost seems as if some want BMW to fail as a company.
You're acting like there wasn't an absolutely stunning concept. And how can you blame us when BMW traditionally follows their concepts almost identically for production models. For the first time I can remember, we have a series model that is highly divergent from its concept. BMW pulled a Subaru.
      01-16-2018, 08:34 PM   #291
sugaki
Rep
Drives: E34 M5

So I just registered to chime in (from M5board and bimmerforums).

Firstly I think the defense of the proportions being unflattering from barrel distortion of the wide angle are exaggerated. When leaked shots of the production 7 Series came out, I thought it was ugly. Then the official shots came out, and I thought it was... slightly less ugly. So if you don't love it now, I doubt it's going to become the Mona Lisa when official shots come in.

I liked the M8 GTE, but the details and execution of this are off. Cover the roundel with your finger for the rear shot, and you don't know if it's an Infiniti or the upcoming mid-engine Corvette. They seem to make the ugly black cladding bigger with every new design. Taillights look less aggressive, more bubbly than the GTE. Up front the shape looks more generic than the concept or the GTE, and lost that Maseati-ness. Cover the slinky roof profile and you don't sense it's a six-figure coupe (compared to the Z8 or E31).

Interior my first thought was a Lincoln. I do like that the screen is integrated into the console, as opposed to jutting out though.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2018, 01:26 AM   #292
JuicedboXed42
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 13 f30 335i Msport

Garage List
2013 BMW 335I  [0.00]
rear end looks like a q60
      01-18-2018, 06:40 AM   #293
RingMeister01
Croatian
No_Country
Rep
Drives: PORSCHE

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by jxr006 View Post
I'm going to move to Mercedes. Their cars just look so much better interior and exterior.
I agree. This crap looks like it was designed in the late 90's/ early 2000's
Looking for an SUV
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2018, 10:10 AM   #294
wankelman24
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW X5 35i M Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by stefan View Post
RIP
Should have gone straight to production with the concept.

Chris Bangle (former head of design, BMW)
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2018, 01:09 PM   #295
Robban
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M2

Looks horrible!
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2018, 10:30 AM   #296
SCOTT26
Major General
Rep
Drives: A big F-off German Truck.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?ebc=ANyP...&v=uJ4f8VRN0Ck

The 8er.
Attached Images

01-20-2018, 10:55 AM   #297
clbmw
Major
Rep
Drives: 320d M135i

8 Series talk (relocated)

Yet the horrible spy shot shows the 8 series to be nowhere near as a sharp as the concept model IMO. You'd be forgiven for not realising they're the same car model.

Since they released the i8, we all know BMW can create production models that are sharper than the concepts from other manufacturers. No excuses really.
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
supra932480.00
      01-20-2018, 11:30 AM   #298
ORIGIN M.
Banned
Rep
Drives: ///M

Quote:
Originally Posted by clbmw View Post
Yet the horrible spy shot shows the 8 series to be nowhere near as a sharp as the concept model IMO. You'd be forgiven for not realising they're the same car model.

Since they released the i8, we all know BMW can create production models that are sharper than the concepts from other manufacturers. No excuses really.
We have not seen the M8 yet so hold the fuck on.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2018, 12:33 PM   #299
gmd2003
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2014 CP M6 and 2006 VT 525 Z4M

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTT26 View Post
Lmao to everyone above hating on the car . Amazing what a difference a non distorted picture makes . Very good looking car , the M8 will look amazing .
Appreciate 1
      01-20-2018, 01:01 PM   #300
AKRAPOVICOWNS
Captain
Rep
Drives: bmw 335i

Quote:
Will be a stunner. Especially the GC.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2018, 06:33 PM   #301
SCOTT26
Major General
Rep

Quote:

This is what the 8er looks like when it is not being photographed through a potato. Yourleaked images shows the outlines but not the details and definitely not enough for someone to make an actual evaluation.
Attached Images

ando2000.50
Patrik158.00
      01-20-2018, 08:14 PM   #302
DRTMGRT
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3M

Garage List
  [0.00]
  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:

This is what the 8er looks like when it is not being photographed through a potato. Yourleaked images shows the outlines but not the details and definitely not enough for someone to make an actual evaluation.
Lookin good. Loving that color.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2018, 11:12 PM   #303
jdhiro
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i

Quote:
Thanks for sharing Scott, the 8 is looking really great IMO.

The Z4 is my real interest though. After my somewhat disappointing E89 experience, I'm hoping the Z4 will be good enough that I can trade my F80 for an Z4+X3 combo in the next couple of years. Hopefully both M models.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2018, 01:25 PM   #304
boyhamdzui
Private
Rep
Drives: F13 640i coupe m sport

Quote:
Thank you buddy, I found my future again.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2018, 05:38 PM   #305
Imola.ZHP
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW i3 BEV EE

W
T
F
?
?
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2018, 05:40 PM   #306
SCOTT26
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonNW View Post
Thanks for sharing Scott, the 8 is looking really great IMO.

The Z4 is my real interest though. After my somewhat disappointing E89 experience, I'm hoping the Z4 will be good enough that I can trade my F80 for an Z4+X3 combo in the next couple of years. Hopefully both M models.
The Z4 as does the concepts of the 8er and the X7 have minimal differences in order to accommodate legislation from impact tests and pedestrian safety.
On saying that both engineers and designers have worked to bring the cars as close to their conceptual form as possible. Differences are minor but some would describe them as major.

Of my favourites due this year I would say the all new 8er and the 3er and all new X5. And for existing addition the M2 C(ompeition) S.

The new 8er is in every evidence the Gentlemans Racer. It embodies a classic yet overly modern appearance. Exquisite detailing and more emphasis on performance. The upcoming M8 is now branded under "Bayerische Motoren Werke" so will be absolutley exclusive.

The new 3er is leaps and bounds over the outgoing 3er the F30. Interior uses higher quality materials and finer detailing.
Styling is evolutionary but some design details border on the revolutionary. Not just for a 3er but for BMW. It's signature again will be complete competence.
The ability to offer everything for every customer.

The new X5 is a personal favourite as it returns to its original concept.
Now there is the upcoming X7, X5 no longer has two jobs to fulfill.
It's sportier looking, and more sharper in its outlines such as the headlights and rear lights. The rear quarter light kink is a symbol of this direction as it follows the X1 and X3 and kicks up. The ideas are similar to the X3 but were some elements are rounder on the X3. They are more sharper on the X5.
Interior is evolutionary but again there has never been complaints about this feature. Like all upcoming BMWs they get the latest in display technology and connective features.

The M2 is about adding some extra but slight visual drama to the new elements aimed at a more enhanced experience. It looks slightly meaner, especially at the front but overall appearance is restrained rather than being far too dramatic and venturing into comedy dealt with by the Aftermarket. It works from a small checklist to increase its experience, whilst not major I am told that the feeling is noticeable rather than just an increase in power.
The new M2 is all about a more visceral experience which in the current car is phenomenal. I have not driven it but I can't wait to.

Last edited by SCOTT26; 01-21-2018 at 06:23 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2018, 05:46 PM   #307
Chihuahua
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E30 329iS, E65 Alpina B7

Quote:
The new 3er is leaps and bounds over the outgoing 3er the F30. Interior uses higher quality materials and finer detailing.
yay!!

Quote:
The ability to offer everything for every customer.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2018, 08:44 PM   #308
CeEl
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 Z4 M40i

Garage List
2024 BMW X5 M60  [0.00]
Quote:
The Z4 as does the concepts of the 8er and the X7 have minimal differences in order to accommodate legislation from impact tests and pedestrian safety.
On saying that both engineers and designers have worked to bring the cars as close to their conceptual form as possible. Differences are minor but some would describe them as major.

Of my favourites due this year I would say the all new 8er and the 3er and all new X5. And for existing addition the M2 C(ompeition) S.
Thanks again ... do we need to be worried that the Z4 isn't under your favorites? ;-)
Appreciate 0