M8 AND 8 SERIES
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M8 Forum and 8 Series Forum BMW M8 and 8-Series General Discussion BMW M8 Road Car to Get Transaxle and Other Benefits From M8 GTE Race Car

01-07-2018, 10:42 AM   #23
gmd2003
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2014 CP M6 and 2006 VT 525 Z4M

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanAutM3 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roundown View Post
I like what you did there.

I too find great humor in the DCT crowd being worked up over a torque converter.
It's not only about the torque converter, it is about the greater static mass, rotating inertia and parasitic losses of a planetary type automatic which make the whole drivetrain more sluggish. Albeit planetary autos keep getting better and better, so it is only a question of time before they are able to match the advantages of a DCT, but they are not quite there yet.

Just to be clear though, the M8 GTE does NOT have a planetary/torque-converter transmission.
The M8 GTE has a true racing transmission , I'm certain the M8 will not get it just the transaxle " concept " which is still great news . The GTE has a Ricardo 6 speed sequential transmission. The newest GM and Ford 10 speed Autos shift as fast as DCT but what is not clear is the drivetrain losses . Would be interesting to see a comparison vs a gold standard dual clutch transmission .In BMW's case they went with a more cost effective option and the ability for platform sharing with an auto box if appropriately tuned will provide performance that is indistinguishable for the majority of drivers . I wouldn't have as much issue with it if a nicely optioned M5 were not 120k lol .
Appreciate 1
      01-07-2018, 01:09 PM   #24
Roundown
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Quote:

I too find great humor in the DCT crowd being worked up over a torque converter.
It's not only about the torque converter, it is about the greater static mass, rotating inertia and parasitic losses of a planetary type automatic which make the whole drivetrain more sluggish. Albeit planetary autos keep getting better and better, so it is only a question of time before they are able to match the advantages of a DCT, but they are not quite there yet.

Just to be clear though, the M8 GTE does NOT have a planetary/torque-converter transmission.

https://ricardo.com/news-and-media/p...t-transmission
At what point do the multiple, electronically controlled differentials become the more binding driveline feature with respect to "sluggish".

M2c, I think BMW took a hard look at the use case for the M5 (since we've veered this way) and found that many more drivers are looking for better launch control than the ability to move ability through multiple gears/more quickly into a chicane. The later just isn't something MOST M5 buyers will miss. Add to that the packaging simplicity, cost and it's hard to argue for the DCT.

I don't subscribe to that view myself - or really care. I'd take the 6MT.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2018, 04:11 PM   #25
drjoe66
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M5 & 2019 X3

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRV99 View Post
Yes they are off pace by what would be considered a huge margin, 3 seconds times hundreds (600-700) laps is nasty. Was this by design or because the m8 is that bad. Yes 100's of simulations and tests have been done but the only really way to know how the car will be is by actual laps. We do not know what bmw has developed as a "race/practice plan" for the race. Give them time and let's see what unfolds. Does no good to put a car off track day one unless you are really trying to finding the limit.
Unfortunately, they were still way off pace in GTLM qualifying today. They need to find 2 seconds between now and the race.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2018, 06:48 PM   #26
brad850csi
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 16 F13 M6 Comp

The obvious choice for the road going car would be the Getrag 7DCL750 which can handle 750nm torque and up to an input speed of 9500rpm

http://www.getrag.com/media/products...on_7DCL750.pdf

This does raise interesting questions about RWD or AWD and if the M8 will have the transaxle and the 840i, m850i cars will have a front mounted gearbox and be much closer to the G30/G11 underneath?
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2018, 01:15 AM   #27
DCG
REBEL
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X4

The BMW M exterior Design Team that worked on the M8 GTE produced such a stunning overall design!!!

I wish all the production M Cars / M SAVs would look this cool and aggressive, of course minus the rear wing.

I realize most of the design is for racing and aerodynamics but I don't care. I want a factory M car that looks as badass as it does!
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2018, 03:30 PM   #28
bradleyland
TIM YOYO
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 M3

Garage List
For anyone curious, the ROAR Before the 24 official results are up:

http://results.imsa.com/Results/18_2...20Official.PDF

GTLM Qualifying results:

1:43.610 #66 Ford GT (J. Hand)
1:43.640 #4 Corvette C7.R (O. Gavin)
1:43.714 #67 Ford GT (R. Briscoe)
1:43.888 #912 Porsche 911 RSR (E. Bamber)
1:43.998 #3 Corvette C7.R (A.Garcia)
1:44.037 #62 Ferrari 488 GTE (A. Pier Guidi)
1:45.056 #25 M8 GTLM (A. Sims)
1:46.717 #24 M8 GTLM (J. Edwards)

This is... not good. Last year, the M6 GTLM was right in the running. Either running out front in some sessions (no "qualifying" last year), or right in the mix. The Alkamel website doesn't have ROAR results for 2016, which would be the M6's inaugural year. I can tell you this much though. The M6 had a really rough start. Was hoping the M8 wouldn't suffer the same.

I think IMSA is using a computer based BoP now though, so hopefully that will results in more timely adjustment to get the M8 on pace.
Past: 2010 135i - TiAg Coral Red 6MT ///M-Sport
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2018, 04:55 PM   #29
gmd2003
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2014 CP M6 and 2006 VT 525 Z4M

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradleyland View Post
For anyone curious, the ROAR Before the 24 official results are up:

http://results.imsa.com/Results/18_2...20Official.PDF

GTLM Qualifying results:

1:43.610 #66 Ford GT (J. Hand)
1:43.640 #4 Corvette C7.R (O. Gavin)
1:43.714 #67 Ford GT (R. Briscoe)
1:43.888 #912 Porsche 911 RSR (E. Bamber)
1:43.998 #3 Corvette C7.R (A.Garcia)
1:44.037 #62 Ferrari 488 GTE (A. Pier Guidi)
1:45.056 #25 M8 GTLM (A. Sims)
1:46.717 #24 M8 GTLM (J. Edwards)

This is... not good. Last year, the M6 GTLM was right in the running. Either running out front in some sessions (no "qualifying" last year), or right in the mix. The Alkamel website doesn't have ROAR results for 2016, which would be the M6's inaugural year. I can tell you this much though. The M6 had a really rough start. Was hoping the M8 wouldn't suffer the same.

I think IMSA is using a computer based BoP now though, so hopefully that will results in more timely adjustment to get the M8 on pace.
No brand new chassis does well right out of the gate unless they get unfair BOP. I certainly wouldn't judge based off one qualifying round . , One thing is for sure the M8 off the bat is getting WAYY fewer BOP benefits which shows it's a better chassis . The M6 got EVERY single BOP area and still didn't do all that well .
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2018, 08:40 PM   #30
mundo74
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F10M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmd2003 View Post
Quote:
Quote:

The M8 GTE has a true racing transmission , I'm certain the M8 will not get it just the transaxle " concept " which is still great news . The GTE has a Ricardo 6 speed sequential transmission. The newest GM and Ford 10 speed Autos shift as fast as DCT but what is not clear is the drivetrain losses . Would be interesting to see a comparison vs a gold standard dual clutch transmission .In BMW's case they went with a more cost effective option and the ability for platform sharing with an auto box if appropriately tuned will provide performance that is indistinguishable for the majority of drivers . I wouldn't have as much issue with it if a nicely optioned M5 were not 120k lol .
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmd2003 View Post
Quote:
Quote:

I wouldn't have as much issue with it if a nicely optioned M5 were not 120k lol .
my point exactly. leave the zfat in the m550 but put something different in the M. I will jump on the ZF8AT bandwagon when I see Porsche Lamborghini and ferrari dump the DCT for the planetary box.