M8 AND 8 SERIES
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M8 Forum and 8 Series Forum BMW M8 and 8-Series General Discussion Production BMW 8 Series leaked !!

01-10-2018, 01:46 PM   #199
Live2lift
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 E92 SSII

Quote:
Originally Posted by advantage20 View Post
Why are the production taillights so frigging thick no evolution from the current 6er.
Disappointing!! Looks exactly like the Infiniti rear lights.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2018, 01:47 PM   #200
Law
Global Moderator
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3 6MT

Garage List
2011.5 BMW M3  [10.00]
2004 BMW M3  [10.00]
What we learned so far
Attached Images

E9x M3 Press/Media Archives Thread | S65-based Racing Engines Thread
Appreciate 4
stefan2361.50
dmboone254972.00
Dinh335713.00
      01-10-2018, 02:35 PM   #201
K-M3
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '12 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcc3456 View Post
Good lord the back end is ugly. BMW is Lexusing it up these days.
The front end too!! I miss the smooth n defined design language of yesteryears
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2018, 02:39 PM   #202
CalCarNut
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 F36 Jet Black Sport Line

Garage List
pic looks like a Vert......
      01-10-2018, 02:40 PM   #203
WWM3
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 GT3

Not a fan but will reserve final opinion until I see the whole car. I'm not sure what's worse though the back end of this car or the roundel they stick on the side of the X2.
      01-10-2018, 03:26 PM   #204
JK479
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: I6-> iX

Quote:
Originally Posted by mose121 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWFreaky View Post
I'll just say this. I love the fact that the 8 series is back. Hell I'm even on board with the X7 and could live with a M7. And although I don't necessarily dislike the designs, I can't help but notice more and more design influences that appear to be taking after the Asian companies. I liked BMW design nomenclature when it was edgy without having 40 different angles/edges on every square foot of the car. I can only assume that this is a direct result of BMW hiring employees away from the Asian companies going back to the mass exodus of German employees starting in '03-04. The brand has not been the same since then and their focus has turned away from their core values in lieu of selling more volume. Now every new BMW design looks more and more like a Lexus/Infiniti product. At least ///M cars are still real BMW's...for now anyways.
I'll disagree- New 5 is core BMW design. New Lexus LS is far from close to a 7 series.

This one looks like an alien. But it might not be a real good picture either-
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2018, 03:42 PM   #205
Madvillain
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: lada

i like it?...sorta kinda idk what to think of it tbh lol. the front is def pre cool perhaps the grill is too large. the back idk it has like 3 cars in one my eyes follow certain lines then get to the end and there are hust more lines to at. it will be cool looking in person im guessin. the interior looks pre cool not a typical bmw design :
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2018, 03:43 PM   #206
ORIGIN M.
Banned
Rep
Drives: ///M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Law View Post
What we learned so far
You might be drunk

Appreciate 0
      01-10-2018, 03:52 PM   #207
GFK007
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2014 m235i

Do people at bmw corporate pay attention to this forum?

Would be curious to know if they are aware of the amount of frustration and disappointment being articulated here - amongst their most loyal supporters.

(gone but not forgotten) 2011 e90 M Sport - M-Tech Carbon Diffuser, OEM Carbon Trunk Spoiler, 20% tint, black reflectors, black OEM grille, LUX white Angel Eyes.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2018, 03:56 PM   #208
LemonOne
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: ///Most Powerful Letter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mose121 View Post
I'll just say this. I love the fact that the 8 series is back. Hell I'm even on board with the X7 and could live with a M7. And although I don't necessarily dislike the designs, I can't help but notice more and more design influences that appear to be taking after the Asian companies. I liked BMW design nomenclature when it was edgy without having 40 different angles/edges on every square foot of the car. I can only assume that this is a direct result of BMW hiring employees away from the Asian companies going back to the mass exodus of German employees starting in '03-04. The brand has not been the same since then and their focus has turned away from their core values in lieu of selling more volume. Now every new BMW design looks more and more like a Lexus/Infiniti product. At least ///M cars are still real BMW's...for now anyways.
Both the E39 and the E90 were designed by Asians.
Same goes to the new X3.
FYI, a lead designer at Infiniti now used to be a lead BMW designer so you might have a point there.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2018, 04:10 PM   #209
SCOTT26
Major General
Rep
Drives: A big F-off German Truck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LemonOne View Post
From this

To this

Been observing the comments from my Swiss chalet and its Amazing
Nearly every word is wrong.

First of all somebody might be brave and (stupid)to get these unprecedented behind the scenes scoops but they are poorly shot and quickly shot from very poor positions.

If you are worried about size of the rear lights. Look at the M8 GTE which showcase the production rear lights. Still look bulbous and out of proportion? No that's the poor photography which has condensed the subject because of its poor resolution.

Secondly. The production 8er does its best to accommodate many of the details of the concept. However they make these features legal for legislative measures. The lower kidney grille and extremely sharp front end would not pass pedestrian regulations.
Though if you look at this profile. You can see that they have managed to provide the car with a low as possible front end which still gives a more dynamic and performance car edge.

It's not the full car and when you see the car not too long from now you will see how close the car comes to the actual concept. As will you also see as a third and final offering that the Concept is not an M Sport unlike the car shown here.
Attached Images

01-10-2018, 04:32 PM   #210
asiflicious
Captain
Afghanistan
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bread View Post
So they dishonored the M6 and 635CSi with the last two awful 6ers, and now they're circling back around to poop on the 850CSi. Guess it's just a matter of time until they make a new M1 to poke that legend in the eye too.
You really didn't like the F13/F06 and E63 6 series'?
Appreciate 2
      01-10-2018, 04:38 PM   #211
Teutonic
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW

If it looks like what I am perceiving from these shots, boy, BMW really lost it.
This is not the image of an icon, is just a stupid joke.
The hideous variations, the shapes and dimensions of the kidney grills that BMW is puting out lately are just horible. They should not even be published in such form even if they were a design exercise.
Some companies wish to have such defining elements and try hard to make their vehicle stand out and give them personality. BMW has few strong define elements like the kidneys, the double halo rings, the kink, yet, they are coming up with horible grills, variations and dimensions that only the IDIOT designer and the IDIOT head of design that aproves them, can love.
There is no need to sink BMW in the bottom of the mediocrity, they are doing it themselves successfuly.

I have two long time friends that are over 30 years BMW fans, yet both moved to Audi due to “stupid and ugly new BMW design”.
I was trying to swallow many design mistakes from BMW but the latest grills, tail lights, terible rear ends, horible headlamps that are stretched to the grills just to fill the gaps, glued interior ipads, phalic shifters, etc. Plus new FWD bullshit, less HP but lots of badges....
The new direction BMW is heading towards is not what used to define it as a brand and is slowly tearing apart my patience.
I am starting to understand that maybe is time to move along and be more open to others.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2018, 04:38 PM   #212
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Smog machines

Quote:
Originally Posted by asiflicious View Post
Quote:
So they dishonored the M6 and 635CSi with the last two awful 6ers, and now they're circling back around to poop on the 850CSi. Guess it's just a matter of time until they make a new M1 to poke that legend in the eye too.
No. The E series is Aztek levels of bad, where awesome V10's went to die. The F series were just heavy, bland looking pastiches of old BMW design. Sort of the Jaguar S Type of Bavaria.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2018, 04:40 PM   #213
asiflicious
Captain
Afghanistan
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [10.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
No. The E series is Aztek levels of bad, where awesome V10's went to die. The F series were just heavy, bland looking pastiches of old BMW design. Sort of the Jaguar S Type of Bavaria.
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
While I respect your opinion, I totally disagree. I think both of those cars were fantastic
Appreciate 2
fndrsn110.50
      01-10-2018, 04:41 PM   #214
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Smog machines

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
While I respect your opinion, I totally disagree. I think both of those cars were fantastic
The Aztek and the E63?
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2018, 05:00 PM   #215
dmboone25
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2024 Golf R / 2022 718 Spyder

Garage List
2007 E92 328i  [10.00]
2007 328i  [10.00]
Quote:
The Aztek and the E63?
I think the Aztek is the absolute ugliest car of all time.

Some of the E series cars weren't lookers for sure - but not THAT bad...
      01-10-2018, 05:39 PM   #216
BMWRL
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 528xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTT26 View Post
Been observing the comments from my Swiss chalet and its Amazing
Nearly every word is wrong.

First of all somebody might be brave and (stupid)to get these unprecedented behind the scenes scoops but they are poorly shot and quickly shot from very poor positions.

If you are worried about size of the rear lights. Look at the M8 GTE which showcase the production rear lights. Still look bulbous and out of proportion? No that's the poor photography which has condensed the subject because of its poor resolution.

Secondly. The production 8er does its best to accommodate many of the details of the concept. However they make these features legal for legislative measures. The lower kidney grille and extremely sharp front end would not pass pedestrian regulations.
Though if you look at this profile. You can see that they have managed to provide the car with a low as possible front end which still gives a more dynamic and performance car edge.

It's not the full car and when you see the car not too long from now you will see how close the car comes to the actual concept. As will you also see as a third and final offering that the Concept is not an M Sport unlike the car shown here.
Scott, with all due respect, if what BMW is designing in their concepts has no way of making production because of regulations then why make concepts that have these features? Unless you guys are designing a car that has no wheels and can fly, give us concepts that are closer to the production version of said car. I mean a car is still basically a car, it still has 4 wheels a steering wheel and is planted to the ground. I mean you guys at BMW could at least at this point figure out a way to get rid of door handles that stick out on the sides of the body, the car even with this design element hasnt changed that much.
      01-10-2018, 05:55 PM   #217
Axxlrod
Dude man
Rep
Drives: X5/X7/Acura NSX

I don't think it looks that bad. I'm sure it will look great in the flesh.

This is a 4 seater?
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2018, 06:08 PM   #218
ORIGIN M.
Banned
Rep
Drives: ///M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tracus View Post
If it looks like what I am perceiving from these shots, boy, BMW really lost it.
This is not the image of an icon, is just a stupid joke.
The hideous variations, the shapes and dimensions of the kidney grills that BMW is puting out lately are just horible. They should not even be published in such form even if they were a design exercise.
Some companies wish to have such defining elements and try hard to make their vehicle stand out and give them personality. BMW has few strong define elements like the kidneys, the double halo rings, the kink, yet, they are coming up with horible grills, variations and dimensions that only the IDIOT designer and the IDIOT head of design that aproves them, can love.
There is no need to sink BMW in the bottom of the mediocrity, they are doing it themselves successfuly.

I have two long time friends that are over 30 years BMW fans, yet both moved to Audi due to “stupid and ugly new BMW design”.
I was trying to swallow many design mistakes from BMW but the latest grills, tail lights, terible rear ends, horible headlamps that are stretched to the grills just to fill the gaps, glued interior ipads, phalic shifters, etc. Plus new FWD bullshit, less HP but lots of badges....
The new direction BMW is heading towards is not what used to define it as a brand and is slowly tearing apart my patience.
I am starting to understand that maybe is time to move along and be more open to others.
Go drive an Audi you might get over it faster than you might think.

Vote with your wallet. Maybe ship a generation or two.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2018, 06:41 PM   #219
sev1
Private
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2023 X5 45e

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWRL View Post
Scott, with all due respect, if what BMW is designing in their concepts has no way of making production because of regulations then why make concepts that have these features? Unless you guys are designing a car that has no wheels and can fly, give us concepts that are closer to the production version of said car. I mean a car is still basically a car, it still has 4 wheels a steering wheel and is planted to the ground. I mean you guys at BMW could at least at this point figure out a way to get rid of door handles that stick out on the sides of the body, the car even with this design element hasnt changed that much.
TBH, the front end looks very similar. Notwithstanding the bumper changes which are required for safety, it looks like a productionalized version of the concept. Its tough to tell on the rear so I won't comment there.

My take is that I want to see concepts that point in the direction of where the production cars are going. But I don't want/need them to have all of the production requirements because then its going to look boring. Concept keeps the fantasy going. At least for me, cars are more than just practical and I like to see artistic versions even if they have no chance to make it in production. At least to see what some of the designers are capable of. Maybe technology will be able to realize those dreams some day.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2018, 06:56 PM   #220
OTJeebus
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 992 GT3 M8cGC

Hmm do I keep my m6gc when the lease is up or jump to a panamera??
Appreciate 0