M8 AND 8 SERIES
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M8 Forum and 8 Series Forum BMW M8 and 8-Series General Discussion BMW M8 GTE World Debut. Updated with pics from Frankfurt IAA

09-15-2017, 10:25 AM   #67
nbennettksu
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: DV F80

what. the. fck.

Insane.

Beautiful.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kchu221 View Post
the wheels make me mad...
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhabs View Post
It's one thing for some buffoon to put an M badge on something that doesn't deserve it...it's another for a multi-billion dollar corporation to do the exact same thing and keep a straight face.
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2017, 06:09 AM   #68
Stratus650
Lieutenant
United Arab Emirates
Rep
Drives: 1er M Coupe

The worst thing about these announcement posts is that I need to scroll forever to go past the million words bla bla bla press conference at the top in order to reach the pictures
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2017, 10:23 AM   #69
Jason
Administrator
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

New M8 GTE feature:

Subscribe to Bimmerpost Youtube Channel
Appreciate 1
      11-07-2017, 11:03 AM   #70
JRobUSC
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Mineral Gray 2019 330i xDrive

"The V8 engine with BMW TwinPower Turbo Technology, which is restricted by regulations to a capacity of 4.0 litres, has a nominal base output of more than 500 hp, depending on the classification. The cylinder block and cylinder head are taken from the production engine and are produced in the light alloy foundry at the BMW Group plant in Landshut (GER)."

Taken from the production engine? What production engine would that be?
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2017, 11:04 AM   #71
mfstrby
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i xDrive

Appreciate 0
      11-07-2017, 01:30 PM   #72
bradleyland
TIM YOYO
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 M3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRobUSC View Post
"The V8 engine with BMW TwinPower Turbo Technology, which is restricted by regulations to a capacity of 4.0 litres, has a nominal base output of more than 500 hp, depending on the classification. The cylinder block and cylinder head are taken from the production engine and are produced in the light alloy foundry at the BMW Group plant in Landshut (GER)."

Taken from the production engine? What production engine would that be?
More than likely, it's an iteration of the engine from the M6 GTLM, but with a shortened stroke. That would make it based on the S63.
Past: 2010 135i - TiAg Coral Red 6MT ///M-Sport
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2017, 01:33 PM   #73
bradleyland
TIM YOYO
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 M3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason View Post
New M8 GTE feature:

Can't wait to see this thing circulating around Daytona.

Does anyone know if Tomczyk is sticking around in IMSA? The BMW RLL #24 team page on IMSA.com only shows a very lonely photo of John Edwards.
Past: 2010 135i - TiAg Coral Red 6MT ///M-Sport
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2017, 08:48 PM   #74
supra93
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Z4, E500, Supra, RX7

Sims Praises “Very Well Refined” BMW M8 GTE

Quote:
Alexander Sims has praised the BMW M8 GTE after his first test with the new car, which he sees as as a step forward from its predecessors.

The BMW factory driver was recently part of a 24-hour endurance test with BMW’s new GTE-homologated contender, which will make its competition debut in January at the Rolex 24 at Daytona.

“My initial impressions are very good and the car seems to be very well refined,” Sims told Sportscar365. “This wasn’t the first test it’s done but it’s the first test I’ve been involved with.

“There have been a number of tests so far so it’s been improved in certain ways since the first test. Certainly now, it’s a very good feeling from a drivers’ point of view.

“It feels like a really solid car underneath me and gives the driver a lot of feedback.”

Sims says the M8 GTE is a good step forward from the Z4 and M6 it follows, combining the best aspects of both models.

“It’s really just more refined,” he said. “You can just tell when you sit in the car when you drive it that lessons have been learned from both the Z4 and the M6.

“I drove the Z4 GTLM once or twice as well and there were bits of that car that were fantastic.

“The M6 has certainly got some strengths as well but admittedly, it’s got a few weaknesses which have been very difficult to overcome this year, primarily with the weight distribution.

“With the M8, it sort of feels like lessons have been learned and the best points of both the Z4 and M6 have been put into one single car.”

Sims Pleased with Successful Debut IMSA Season

Sims admitted he was almost surprised at the level of success he and BMW Team RLL had in his debut IMSA WeatherTech SportsCar Championship season with the M6 GTLM this year.

“To be honest, it ended up being quite surprising how well we did,” he said.

“The fact that everything was brand new to me, with a new team and new car in a sense with it being the GTLM version, pretty much all of that didn’t factor into it at all. We just got on with it and had a really good season.

“I think if you’d have offered me second place in the championship with three wins including Petit Le Mans, at the start of the year, I would have definitely settled for that!”

While his plans aren’t confirmed yet for next season, Sims admits a return to the WeatherTech Championship would be good in order to try and go one better than his runner-up finish in the championship.

“If I’m back there next year, it would definitely be to try and go back and win,” he said.

“Obviously with the experience of this year, it would be very good to go back to each place with a base understanding of each circuit and how the series works as well.”

Details on BMW’s factory programs and driver lineups are expected to be announced at the manufacturer’s end-of-season event on Dec. 15.
http://sportscar365.com/lemans/wec/s...e-development/

Appreciate 0
      11-27-2017, 09:00 PM   #75
supra93
Colonel
Rep

BMW Completes 24-Hour Endurance Test with M8 GTE

Quote:
BMW has completed a successful 24-hour endurance test with its new M8 GTE, ahead of the car’s competition debut in January’s Rolex 24 at Daytona.

The three-day test at Paul Ricard saw factory drivers Martin Tomczyk, Antonio Felix da Costa, Philipp Eng and Alexander Sims share driving duties of the new-for-2018 GTE car, which took part in both performance and endurance runs.

Monday’s schedule saw new aero developments evaluated on the car, followed by the endurance test on Tuesday and Wednesday, which resulted in no major issues.

It came as an “important step” forward for the development program, according to BMW Motorsport Director Jens Marquardt.

“This test confirmed that our development of the car is on track,” he said. “We have seen that we can complete a marathon test without any major issues.

“Of course, when developing a new race car there are always areas with a little more room for improvement.

“Our engineers will now work hard on those in Munich, and during the tests in the USA.”

Tomczyk added: “An endurance test like this is a real acid test for the car, and the BMW M8 GTE passed it.

“Of course, there were one or two minor things but they did not affect the 24-hour run as a whole.”

BMW will field factory entries in both the FIA World Endurance Championship and IMSA WeatherTech SportsCar Championship next year with BMW Team MTEK and RLL, respectively.

Testing is now set to shift to Florida, beginning with next month’s IMSA-sanctioned test at Daytona, which is expected to mark the first competitive mileage of the car in the hands of the Bobby Rahal-led organization.
http://sportscar365.com/lemans/wec/b...t-with-m8-gte/

Appreciate 0
      12-11-2017, 02:07 PM   #76
supra93
Colonel
Rep

BMW M8 GTE seen testing at Daytona

Quote:
BMW unveiled the racing version of its yet-to-be-revealed 8-Series coupe during September’s 2017 Frankfurt auto show.

The version shown was the M8 GTE, BMW’s entry for the World Endurance Championship which includes the famous 24 Hours of Le Mans. That’s right, folks. BMW is returning to Le Mans.

An M8 GT Le Mans (GTLM) race car is also in the works, in this case for the IMSA WeatherTech Sportscar Championship, where it will replace the previous M6-based race car. Here we see it during the past weekend’s public test at Daytona International Speedway in preparation for the competition debut next month in the 2018 24 Hours of Daytona. A private test had already taken place at Homestead Miami Speedway last week.

On both occasions, the car was supervised by BMW Team RLL, which will be fielding it throughout the 2018 season. John Edwards and Connor De Phillippi took to the wheel at Daytona while Martin Tomczyk drove it at Homestead.

Power in both the M8 GTLM and M8 GTE race cars comes from a new 4.0-liter twin-turbocharged V-8. BMW says the engine has been derived from the 4.4-liter mill found in road cars like the latest M5. It develops a nominal base output of more than 500 horsepower, depending on the classification, and drive is to the rear wheels via 6-speed sequential transmission.

The weight of the cars, meanwhile, is down to just 2,690 pounds thanks to the extensive use of carbon fiber in the construction.

Even for non-motorsport fans, the M8 race car gives us our best look yet at the road-going 8-Series, specifically the M8 model, launching in 2018. This is especially true for the grille shape, lights and profile.

As mentioned, the competition debut for the M8 GTLM is the 24 Hours of Daytona, which runs the weekend start January 27. The M8 GTE’s first race will be the 6 Hours of Spa-Francorchamps next May. The race is the season opener for the new 2018/2019 “super season” of the WEC.
https://www.motorauthority.com/news/...ing-at-daytona

Appreciate 0
      12-11-2017, 02:31 PM   #77
supra93
Colonel
Rep

The innovative aerodynamics behind the BMW M8 GTE – BMW Motorsport.

Appreciate 0
      12-17-2017, 02:55 PM   #78
uniqueMR
Colonel
Rep
Drives: ...

Beautifulllllllll
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2018, 03:27 PM   #79
Kh4N
Private
Rep
Drives: E30 touring, F30 saloon

First pole for the new BMW M8 GTE in IMSA competition – BMW Team RLL qualifies first and third in Sebring.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2018, 10:44 PM   #80
drlonline
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 i8 Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kh4N View Post
First pole for the new BMW M8 GTE in IMSA competition – BMW Team RLL qualifies first and third in Sebring.
Unfortunately that strong finish at Sebring caused IMSA to force a reduction in boost for the M8 GTE cars at today's Long Beach race, which I attended. One of the two M8's dropped out of the race, the other finished in 5th for the GTE classification. Not bad considering it started the race in last place.

Gorgeous cars, BTW.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
Igor_M52129.00