bradleyland
TIM YOYO
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 M3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by dc503 View Post
This part is driven by the ACO GTE engine regs, turbocharged motors cannot be larger than 4.0L. I don't believe this is a brand new ground up motor, although I could be wrong. The now old M6 GTLM didn't need to adhere to this.
GTLM uses GTE regs, with some extra IMSA special sauce mixed in, and BMW raced the 4.4L there. AFAIK, the M6 GTLM received an engine waiver to use the 4.4L engine, because the ACO GTE 4.0L turbo/supercharged engine displacement cap has been around for a while.

For example, the displacement issue is mentioned in this TopSpeed article about the M6 GTLM.

https://www.topspeed.com/cars/bmw/20...-ar171374.html
BMW did not go into any detail about the drivetrain for the M6 GTLM, saying only that it carried a “lightly modified version of the V-8 production engine.” This is the same thing that BMW said about GT3 car, although BMW revealed the all-important detail about the engine producing 592 horsepower instead of the production car’s 560. It’s possible that the same will be true of the GTLM car, but there is a small problem with that. GTE regulations cap engine displacement for turbo/supercharged cars at four liters and the production and GT3 versions of the M6 have 4.4-liter engines.

That said, most governing bodies are more interested in power, and it is very possible that so long as BMW keeps it the same as the GT3 car, the IMSA will be willing to give the car a waiver. BMW could also de-stroke the engine to bring displacement down to four liters, but that isn’t the sort of thing that you’d describe as “lightly modified.”
Although, it is mentioned that IMSA may be willing to give a waiver. Given that the M8 GTE will race at Le Mans, the ACO may be less willing to give BMW yet another pass (see also: Z4 GTE) on engine regs.
Past: 2010 135i - TiAg Coral Red 6MT ///M-Sport
Appreciate 0